Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Bad CD drive, need to install keyboard software.
    I just got a new keyboard with customizable hotkeys but gee whiz neither of my CD drives will open!

Can I just copy the files from the cd (on another computer) to my flash drive and bring the flash drive to this computer and install the software that way?

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 27, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Probably. Since its hardware related you probably just need the files, not the disk.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 27, 2006, 08:00 AM
    If you're on a network you can just share the CD drive on the other computer and map it onto your system - you can do this with floppy disk drives as well!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 28, 2006, 12:32 AM
    I agree, you probably won't need the disk. On the off chance that you do though, you could make an ISO or BIN/CUE image file of the disk, transfer it, and mount it on your hard drive using a free software called "Daemon Tools." This should emulate any protection inherent to the disk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard drive software reload [ 15 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what's the best advice for wiping a hard drive and re-loading all software, including Windows XP? :eek: I've been advised through another thread in this forum to do that after all else failed in trying restore PC performance. I've backed up all my personal files to an...

Want to install a separate hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

I just removed a hard drive from my computer (XP Home). I have loads of music and video on it (trashed the computer). I'd like to install the HD on my other computer (XP Home) for only the files and music (no online or email) and wish to boot either one at will. Is this possible? Thanks for...

Install Windows on Separate Hard Drive? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding an external hard drive to my system for extra storage. I'm unfamiliar with adding additional storage so this is a pretty basic question: do I need to install my copy of Windows on the new hard drive in order to get it to operate? Or can I save, retrieve, etc from the new drive with...

View more questions Search