Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maljjs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2006, 06:43 AM
    AC Buzzing noise
    My 2-yr old 12,000 BTU Friedrich wall AC unit started making a very loud buzzing noise recently. The noise does not occur in the "fan-only" mode, but starts about 1 minute after the AC is turned on. The noise is louder inside the house than outside the house, and seems more "electrical" in nature than vibratory. As far as I can tell, the cold air output is still OK, despite the noise, but I'm not going to use the unit again until I find out what the problem is. Thanks.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Jul 27, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Odds are the contactor which engages power to the compressor is going bad. It will "vibrate" as it tries to make/keep contact and make a buzzing noise. Have a tech. check it out. Not a major problem, but it needs fixing...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing lights II [ 6 Answers ]

I have sconce lights on a dimmer and, when I dim the lights, they start to buzz. I have the same problem with my kitchen light. I have tried changing dimmers, and using rough service bulbs and still the problem persists. Someone suggested halogina light bulbs. Would they work? Where do you buy...

Buzzing relay with Trane Cebtarl Air unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Trane Central Air unit (model BLU0682L942A) which recently went out on us. Nothing worked … no AC … no heat … no fan. I replaced the transformer and then the relay (S87R-1079-1). I believe everything is correctly wired. I don't have a wiring diagram for the unit. I tested the...

Dimmer buzzing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why wall dimmers for incandescent lights buzz? I have had some that buzz and some that don't. If the light buzzes, changing the dimmer doesn't seem to help. The buzz is very annoying!

Buzzing from air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hoping for info concerning a buzzing sound coming from air handler. We live in a high-rise building(24 floors). We are on a building wide system with air handlers in each room. Small bedroom unit has history about this time each year(last 5) that start buzzing. Past years maintenance would...

Buzzing Central Air [ 1 Answers ]

My central air when cut on makes a buzzing noise and no air is flowing. I checked the fan and it is blowing. ANy ideas? Please help? Thanks

View more questions Search