Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    accespedes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 02:48 PM
    In and out wireless connection
    My laptop can locally connect to the internet using an ethernet cable, but once I try to connect wirelessly (router and modem on the other side of the wall), it connects and disconnects, and it does this repeatedly. I've tried the other existing wireless networks around my apartment and they work fine, and also my PS3 has no problem with connecting wirelessly to the internet and the other networks. People that bring their laptops over can connect just fine wirelessly.

Ahh, could it be my scrappy laptop?

I am thinking about taking it to Geeksquad or Geeksquad coming to my house.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see the advice/suggestions from all of you intelligent shipmates out there :)

Thanks!
    shreves Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 03:33 PM

You might try downloading drivers for your card and reinstalling them. Same thing happened with my laptop and that worked for me. Or just buy a new wireless card and slide it into the slot. You can probably end up getting a better card than what is in there now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2009, 03:54 PM

What type of wireless adapter do you have? What version is the router.

By the way, did you know it was illegal to connect to someone else's network without permission?
    accespedes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What type of wireless adapter do you have? What version is the router.

By the way, did you know it was illegal to connect to someone else's network without permission?

I have a 802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Network Adapter and YES I know it's illegal, but doesn't everyone do it? :) just like speeding.

Anyway, so this just happened recently (connection is in and out)

Any ideas?

Router is netgear.. not sure the version
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2009, 05:41 PM

No, Everybody doesn't do it. Nor is that an excuse to do it. You are siphoning off someone else's bandwidth, almost equivalent to stealing gas from their car.

I wonder if your problems are not due to someone in the building piggybacking off your router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix my wireless connection [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to fix my PC it says that there are no wireless conections available. I have a router hooked to the main computer but it is not showing that anything is even hooked up. I don't know what happened because it was working fine before. How do I fix this?

Wireless connection [ 1 Answers ]

When i uesed wireless my computor can not open internet . When i connect to intennet my computor show massage " Internet explorer could not open search page:confused:"

Wireless connection [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guyes this is my first time I need some help I have a desktop connect to a sdl wireless router working fine and laptop connected by wierless also working fine. My q is? Is there a way I can acsess the desktop pcs file from my laptop or if I want to print something from my laptop to the...

Wireless Connection [ 1 Answers ]

I’m using Windows XP and I’m trying to connect to a Linksys wireless router (connection at 54Mbs). I keep on getting this error message (exclamation mark in a yellow triangle) that says “Limited Connectivity) Can anyone tell me all of the possible symptoms, cause, or problems and offer possible...

Wireless connection? [ 4 Answers ]

Before I got my laptop reformatted the wireless connection on it was working fine. It works fine everywhere else but at my friend's house. I can pick up her wireless connection, the signal is very good, but for some reason I can't browse the internet. I tried repairing the connection but I get a...

View more questions Search