Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atomvik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Coefficient of Friction
    An 82 kg skier travels down a 17 degree slope at constant velocity as friction and 140 N of air/wind resistance act against the skier and skis. What is the coefficient of friction between the skis and snow?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 14, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Hello atomvik

Well : what have you tried so far to answer this question, your homework (most probably) ?

I suggest you take the slope and calculate the horizontal and vertical forces caused by speed, weight, and add the force caused by resistance. Remember it is given that the speed is and remains constant.
    So your horizontal resistance force is compensated by the total vertical force (gravity).

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Coefficient of kinetic friction [ 1 Answers ]

If you use a horizontal force of 35.0 N to slide a 13.5 kg wooden crate across a floor at a constant velocity, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor?

Coefficient of friction [ 1 Answers ]

A 49N block is pulled by a horizontal force of 50N along a rough horizontal surface at a constant acceleration of 6/m/s/s. what is the coefficient of friction

Coefficient of friction [ 1 Answers ]

Is coefficient of friction depending on area of contact? I thought it is, but the formulae relate only two factors, i.e.. Normal force and kinetic friction force.

Beta Coefficient [ 1 Answers ]

Given the following information, determine the beta coefficient for Stock J that is consistent with equilibrium: rj = 12.5%; rfr =4.5%; rm = 10.5%.

Static friction and kinetic friction [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: A force of 30.0 N is required to start a 4.4 kg box moving across a horizontal concrete floor. (a) What is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor? (b) If the 30.0 N force continues, the box accelerates at 0.50 m/s2. What is the coefficient of...

View more questions Search