Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArnieH Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Wild Card Teams Advantage?
    It seems to me that the Wild Card teams in the NFL playoffs seem, more often than not, beat the division winners in round 2 (witness last weekend, when three out of four did).
    Does anyone know of any stats that show that to be the case, generally, and the possible effect the one-week layoff has on the division leaders?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:02 PM

Since the Wild-Card System began in 1970, nine wild-card teams have advanced all the way to the Super Bowl. Of those, five won the Super Bowl. Only three of those wild-card teams , New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers, and New York Giants ,won three games on the road to make it to the Super Bowl.

By contrast ,only one #1 seed has won the super bowl since 2000.The 2003 Patriots were the only top-seeded team this decade to win the Super Bowl.

This year the top 3 seeds in the NFC have been eliminated . Pittsburg Steelers ,the AFC #2 team has a chance to advance. But there is a chance that a wild card from both divisions could advance to the Superbowl.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 08:40 AM

Sort of bears out the point about that one-week layoff.
    Yes but that wasn't always the case. I am frankly perplexed about it. In theory 2 weeks to plan ;get healthy ,and motivated is a plus. There used to be a tremendous advantage to being the #1 seed when you considered the home field advantage.

My best guess is that the coaching is not as good as in the days of Landry ;Shula ,Lombardi , Knoll ,Parcells ,Walsh etc.

My other guess is that players were more motivated to get that extra playoff $$$ before the days of free agency.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Also consider that league parity is at an all-time high, so the gap between #1 and #6 isn't what it used to be. Sometimes a layoff can be a momentum killer rather than an advantage, and being favored to win comes with more pressure to win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Youth football teams in glasgow [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if there are any good youth football teams in the Glasgow area. My nephews would like to go to one and I need to find out if there are any reputable ones out there. Muchh apprecitated if anyone can get back to me on this.

Into the Wild [ 4 Answers ]

What are people's thoughts on this movie? I am at a similar age to the main character, whilst I am not like him in many aspects- I can't help but relate to him and what he seeks... Thoughts, review and people's perception behind the meaning would be appreciated. "Happiness is only real if shared"

Finding Clues, yellow,blue,white,green,red teams [ 4 Answers ]

Movie in the 80's I loved to watch. It had teams of people all teens. They had to find clues to win and they found a clue at a mini golf course, an airport with HareKrishna's there and a hotel. The teams car matched the color of the teams. Please help?:confused:

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

Sports Teams [ 40 Answers ]

Just wondering what sports teams do people on here support? As u can tell by my name I support Man Utd and we better win 2 night lol

View more questions Search