Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kbrad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 11:19 PM
    Buzzing relay with Trane Cebtarl Air unit
    I have an old Trane Central Air unit (model BLU0682L942A) which recently went out on us. Nothing worked … no AC … no heat … no fan. I replaced the transformer and then the relay (S87R-1079-1). I believe everything is correctly wired. I don't have a wiring diagram for the unit. I tested the heater and the unit ignites and flames on, the blower comes on and everything appears to work. However, when I test the AC, I get a definite “click” from the relay and then a loud buzzing sound. The outside condenser does not come on and the condenser fan does not spin. I can manually turn the fan blades of the outside unit, so the motor is free. I do not hear any noise from the condenser. I disconnected the 24V wires (in my case red and white) from the condenser wires (blue and yellow). Seems as long as I do not have a complete 24V circuit to the condenser I get no buzz (blower fan still works). I am uncertain as to what is causing the buzz at the relay. I am thinking motor start capacitor or short at the condenser? I am looking for help in “next steps” to isolate the problem.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Aug 2, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Check the contactor in the outdoor unit it may not be wired correctly. Check to see if the coil on the contactor is 24 volt and ensure that 24 volts is being fed to it.

A low voltage to a relay will cause chattering and or buzzing of a relay or contactor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing Defrost Relay on Trane Unit [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan...

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

Dimmer buzzing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why wall dimmers for incandescent lights buzz? I have had some that buzz and some that don't. If the light buzzes, changing the dimmer doesn't seem to help. The buzz is very annoying!

Buzzing from air handler [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hoping for info concerning a buzzing sound coming from air handler. We live in a high-rise building(24 floors). We are on a building wide system with air handlers in each room. Small bedroom unit has history about this time each year(last 5) that start buzzing. Past years maintenance would...

Buzzing Central Air [ 1 Answers ]

My central air when cut on makes a buzzing noise and no air is flowing. I checked the fan and it is blowing. ANy ideas? Please help? Thanks

View more questions Search