Ask
    rkoppenaal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny
    What are rules for filing
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 10:08 AM

If you file joint return, on NJ return your wife is resident and will report her income. You are non-resident in NJ with no NJ income.

On NY return, you will report your income as resident and your wife is non-resident.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
    You should BOTH go to a local tax professional.

Whatever the fee will be, it will be worth it, because your joint return has so many pitfalls that the average lay person is bound to make a serious mistake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife and I live and work in different states (NY and CA), can we file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

I live and work in NYC and my wife lives in CA, can we file (MFJ) joint tax return? Or do we have to file married filing separately?

How can I prove my wife does not live in this house? [ 2 Answers ]

With out getting a private investigator how can I prove my wife does not live in my house?

Live part-time NYC and work full-time and live part-timein Long Island am I NYC resi [ 1 Answers ]

For all of 2007, I lived and worked in Suffolk County four days per week, and I lived in the Bronx three days per week (not working during those three days). My employer generated my w-2 form with non-resident status based on my working and living in Suffolk County for my emploment. My question is,...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search