Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gh51 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 02:51 AM
    Can I put self stick tile over black mastik on cement floor
    I pulled up some old tiles from the basement floor several months ago. Now I decided to remove most of the rest of them and found out recently that the black mastik glue probably contains asbestos. I would like to install new self stick vinyl tiles over the floor. My questions are: Will the new tiles stick to the floor considering the old mastik is still there? Do I need to seal the cement floor first? The box of tile recommended sealing so I bought some bottles of bond enhancer for cement floors. It is supposed to be put on with a paint roller. Is it necessary to use or even safe considering the asbestos mastik on the floor now? The house was built in 1946 and the tiles were covered w wall to wall when I had it inspected before buying it. Replacing the carpeting is not an option due to my cats urinating on the carpet. I put a treadmill in the basement on top of a small area rug which is on top of the black mastik. Is it safe to go down there and use it or should I cover the black mastik before doing anything down there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    CyFree Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Jan 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Are you positive that the mastic contains asbestos? Maybe it is a good idea to have an asbestos removal professional test it and find out how much of a health hazard you are dealing with.
    I urge you to do that

I believe that answer will determine what you can and need to do about the place, and make an informed decision. I can't, just based on your explanation, tell you what is or is not safe.
    gh51 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Thanks for your advice.

No I am not certain that it contains asbestos. I was just going based on what the project manager from work thought, as he supervises renovations. Also based on many descriptions on the internet. I don't think I can afford to bring in a professional to test it though, so I may have to try another method. Perhaps self test kit from Home Depot, I think there is such a thing but haven't actually looked for one yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Remove old tile from cement basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

Having some trouble removing old tile from my basement floor. Is there any thing that I can do to lossen the tile up first. I have tried to scrap it and chip it but it still won't come up in some spots of the floor. HELP.

Tile directly to cement basement floor to create shower [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had to rip out a small neo angle shower in my basement because it backed up. It has a metal strainer on it that rusted shut and the floor drain was not above the shower pan drain to be reached. Also, it turns out that under the plastic shower pan of the previous shower, the tiling...

Removing Old Vinyl Tile from Cement Floor [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old vinyl tile from a cement floor? The tile has been on the floor for approx. 25 years and is securely stuck to the cement. Thank you, Mary Hamilton

Peel and stick tile on the bathroom floor? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planing to put peel and stick tile on the bathroom floor. I am concerned about water seeping in between the tiles and causing damage to the subfloor. Some one suggest to use tile adhesive along with the self stick adhesive on the back of the tile, This could cause problems that if you want to...

View more questions Search