Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heavy10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 11:14 PM
    Sued by credit card company
    I am being sued by a credit card company for approx. 20k. I am currently enrolled in a debt settlement program, but was sued by the company anyway. I am responding to the summons and making a motion to compel arbitration (as advised by the debt settlement company). I have been told that the credit card company will win the judgment, but I am wondering what I should try to do. I want to avoid wage garnishment if at all possible, but do not have the money to make a large settlement offer. I am a singe mother and rent my apartment. I don't really have anything for them to take, but I do want to settle my debts. The reason I enrolled with the program was to clear my debt and be debt free at some point. I want to take responsibility, but I don't know what my best course of action is... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Are payment plans an option? Will the judge possibly reduce the amount I owe since a good deal of the money they are suing for is ate fees and penalties? Is it worthwhile to try to set up a payment plan with the lawyers? Does being enrolled with a debt settlement company do me any good in this situation? So many questions...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Hello heavy:

Sorry for your problems..

If the debt settlement company you are using is looking out for YOUR interests instead of THEIRS, it'll help you. But, if they're ripoffs, like MOST of 'em are, they're only going to help themselves...

No, the judge will award them a judgment INCLUDING interest, late fees, and court costs. He doesn't care that you can't pay, or why.

The ONLY thing you can do, is make them a cash offer. If you can come up with, say, $5,000, I'll bet you can make your $20,000 problem disappear. Before you pay them, however, get the settlement IN WRITING.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued by credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

I am being sued by US Bank for 12,826.91 plus costs. They added on $3110.65 from the original balance of 971.26. Is this interest possibly?? I know that I was previously at $6991.82 before all the interest and finance charges. History: I was a student for 4 years and was having trouble paying...

Sued by Credit Card Company [ 2 Answers ]

I r'cd a notice to appear for pretrial conference from an attorney representing a cc company that I defaulted on. I'm not exactly sure when I last paid on the account, but it has been years, 3 or 4 from what I estimate. My question is this: Is it worth hiring an attoney or should I attempt to...

Being Sued by credit card company [ 12 Answers ]

I owe 20,000 in credict card and I am self employed but work very slow know, and don't have any assets and nothing in the bank, my question is once I go to court... what happen there, how is the court process about being sued by a credict... and .if.. it is better to find a lawyer or handle it...

Sued by credit card company [ 3 Answers ]

I'm being sued by a credit card company, is there any other solution I can do without Going to court? Rick

Sued by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

What do I do when sued by credit card company?

View more questions Search