Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wookawgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain
    Hello, again

I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber!

It is the only drain in the house that has this problem.

I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing...

The sink will empty and the water will go straight from the hose down the drain... until I turn the water off... then about 3 inches of water comes back into the sink and won't drain... If I turn the hose back on, it will run for a few min and the sink will drain... then as soon as I turn it off, the water will stop draining... I have run the hose for extended periods and the water is going somewhere!! Its not coming up any other drains in the house... so what is the deal?

Any ideas will be appreciated! ;)
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
    Your sink is connected to the drain line and it has what is called a re-vent, the sink vent is connected to the vent that is probably behind the commode.The water coming out of the hose is being forced up the re-vent and down the drain to the commode. As you stop the pressure the excess water then rises back the a level in your sink.
    To stop this you have to run a small snake down the drain and hope it makes the right turns to go down the drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow drain upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

Both my tub and sink drain very slowly upstairs. They each have their own pipe that runs to the vertical drop. I'm wondering if maybe they are not vented properly, or something else. The pipe running to the verical drop is galvanized pipe. The sink is about 1 ft from the veritcal drop, and the...

Slow sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up...

Bathroom Sink Filling From Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've got quite a situation going here. I own a townhouse, and have a second floor bedroom/bath that is rarely used. About a week ago I went into that bathroom to discover that the sink was full of a coppery colored water, and sediment coated the sink. Apparently it had also overflowed at some...

Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes) [ 2 Answers ]

So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right. My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again. I can...

View more questions Search