Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Failure to pay lien on car
    I sold a car to a gentleman, he is still making payments on the car so we placed a lien on the title *which is in my possession*. He hasn't made a payment, how long do I wait until action is taken? Do I repossess or is there another action I am suppose to take?

I live in Florida if that matters? Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2009, 06:14 PM

If you still have the title, then he doesn't own the car. Do you have a note stating the car is collateral?

Jan 12, 2009, 06:26 PM

Yes, it's states in the agreement that he is to pay $$$ no later then the 10th of each month for... months. Failure to pay will resort in repossession, but it doesn't say how many days before repossession. It does state as a result of a repossession he is not entitled to any refund of payments made.

Is there a time line we would need to go by before repossession?
    LawLover1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelz921 View Post
    I sold a car to a gentleman, he is still making payments on the car so we placed a lien on the title *which is in my possession*. He hasn't made a payment, how long do I wait until action is taken? Do I repossess or is there another action I am suppose to take?

I live in Florida if that matters? Thanks
    Most banks and lenders would wait for 3 months before they repossess.
    ----------------------------
    Reliable and Experienced Lawyers

Jan 12, 2009, 07:01 PM

The car is supposed to be paid off in 3 months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 07:37 PM

You will have to repo, and you can do it anytime after he is in default
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2009, 01:43 AM

Send him a letter stating that he is in default of the contract and advise him to turn the car over to you or it will be repossed. Set a deadline (not more than a week) for him to turn it over.

Jan 16, 2009, 09:41 AM

I am happy to say, the gentleman paid the note with an apology and plans on paying off the entire note in 2 weeks. Thank you for all of your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charging lien vs child support lien [ 3 Answers ]

In 1997 when I divorced I was given the marital house to live in until our child turned 18. My ex's attorneys put a charging lien for fees on my (ex's interest) of the marital home. When our child turns 18 I was to sell the house and my ex had to pay me all that he owes me and we were to split any...

Renal failure [ 3 Answers ]

My son is dying he has only 2and 4 percent kidney funcion how long has he got and what should I expect

Icemaker failure [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore 363.9752711 refrig w/ icemaker replaced supply line and water supply valve (WR57X10033) Still no water to ice tray. What should I replace next?

Can I put a lien on ex husbands condo for failure of payment on vechiles [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could put a lien on my ex husbands condo due to failure of making payments on vechiles that were in our divorce degree signed by a judge in the state of Florida? Because he already stop making payments on one, and now I am being sued by the company, but they also have decided...

Putting a lien on ex husbands condo failure to pay vechiles due to court order [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way I can put a lien on my ex husbands condo for failure of paying on vechiles that were in our divorce papers stating that he has to make all payments, upkeep, maintenance and so of so forth? Because he stopped payment on already and that is going though the company that it was...

View more questions Search