Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyKay88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
    How can I adopt my great-neice who is my foster child?
    My husband and I have been foster parents to my niece since July of 08. She actually has been in our care for longer but officially that is when it started. She will be a year old next month. Her parents are both in trouble for drugs. The dad has five felonies against him one of which is child endangerment. He goes to court on Feb 3rd of this year. The mom is 17 and has run away from her child twice that the cops know of but actually it has been three times. All of which the child has been our care. The mother has been tested for drugs each time and each timea it has shown positive for drug use. These two kids (the dad is 20) have been given chance after chance to straighten up so they can have their baby back, buthave chosen not to. The social services has put these to in an out patient treatment which is a joke! I was wondering if my husband and I have a chance of taking their parental rights away so we can adopt the little girl. The only 'Mom" she has ever known is me. She does see her parents but they don't even try with her? They don't even buy her anything. The dad's parents buy her formula and my husband and I do all the rest. Thank You

Amy
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 06:44 PM

You need to talk to a lawyer in your area about your options. If you are already a foster parent, you may need to contact child Services and see what rules they have about adopting a child you are fostering.

The only time you (or the state) can take away someone's parental rights is if they are a danger to the child, and have proven so, usually more than once.

You may want to go with the option of trying to get the biological parents to voluntarily sign their rights over with the stipulation that you can adopt.

But you will want to consult with a Family Law Attorney to find out what your BEST options are.
    AmyKay88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 11:06 AM

Thank You I will The dad does have a child endangerment charge against him already but it's like the social services forgets this. The still let the dad have visits! Crazy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of Great niece [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, nice to find this site, and be here! Anyway, down to topic at hand. I have an 8 year old niece, who I have intermittently taken care of over the past 8 years. So, since day one really. Anyway, I have had her for months at time, sometimes days, sometimes just one day, so on and so...

Currently have permanet custody of niece whom I want to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi let me see if I can summarize the last year and 3 months. On Oct 24, 2007 I went to court because I had petioned for a protective order for my 4 month old niece. Her mother had custody of her. She is my brother's biological child and he was in jail and never named father. The mother had told...

How to adopt my niece at birth, parents are signing over rights [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to adopt my niece who will be born in march. My sister is giving me the baby and I can take her from the hospital at birth. Both parents are signing over all rights immediately. Do I need to do anything legally before the birth?

How can I adopt my nephew in foster care [ 25 Answers ]

Hello. My sister is on drugs really bad and she has been for quite some time. The social services people took her baby away from her (thank god.) Hew husband left after he found out the kid wasn't his. I am afraid the kid will get adopted and we will never see him again (the family that is). It S...

What can I do to save my great niece from going to the state [ 9 Answers ]

My niece was asked by dcf to provide a urine test and failed the test what can I do as aunt to help my great niece?

View more questions Search