Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Landlord turned of gas to house.
    Our landlord is in the process of evicting us from our home, he has yet to serve any papers what so ever. Today he had the gas cut off so now we can't cook, have hot water for showers, can't dry clothes let alone wash them and no heat.

I can NOT afford an attorney, legal aid won't help because we haven't been evicted yet, and have no idea what I can do. I was told there was a form I could fill out telling him he has 24 hours to turn it back on or we could sue him. I am not looking to sue him, but only to have the gas on until the 1st when we are able to move out.

I live in Florida.

By the way we do have 2 small children a 4 year old and a 1 year old.

Can any give me an idea?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 08:24 PM

Call the sheriff and ask for assistance; also, call a magistrate or justice of the peace because they have experience with these matters.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 06:39 PM

Call the Health Department as landlord cannot turn off the utilities on you. The fact you have 2 kids helps you get noticed by the proper authorities also. If you do call, they will investigate and make landlord turn the gas back on.
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jan 16, 2009, 09:42 AM

I contacted the local sheriff's department and they said there is nothing they can do as this is something that has to go to court. They do not handle these types of cases.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 11:11 AM

Call the local Health Dept and talk to them. They should be able to help.

The Sheriff's dept cannot handle this as it is civil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord not maintaining rental house [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend, 5 year old daughter, and I rent a house from my ex boss, when he asked me to work for him he said we can rent the house he owns and not to worry about the deposit on it. When we moved in the roof leaks upstairs in the bedroom and bathroom and downstairs bedroom closet and bathroom....

Our landlord is going to have the electric turned off! [ 5 Answers ]

So we are being evicted,we have a court date set for June 19.My landlord calls today and tells us he is having the electric turned off on Wednesday! Can he do this? Will the electric co. come out and shut it off? What should I do?? Please help!:(

Tenant turned landlord issues [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend and I began renting an apartment in a converted house in Dec. of '06. The house we were living in went on the market in the summer of '07. I bought the house in August of '07, at the same time we were splitting up. She has yet to pick up her belongings and I am wondering when I...

Landlord won't fix heat in house [ 3 Answers ]

The Central Air Central Heating Unit Was Removed From My House More Than 6 Years Ago Because It Quit Working, It Was Never Replaced. The House Has A Fireplace,but I Can't Use It Because Of Cracks In It. I Put Up With No Heating Unit For Years, Because My Rent Was So Cheap And I Knew If The Landlord...

Landlord is selling house [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to how long I have before I have to move after my landlord sells the house I am living in?

View more questions Search