Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nasra Posts: 54, Reputation: 7

Jul 26, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Fortune tellers predictions.
    A fortune teller once said to me, that I will travel a lot, and will get married and have two boys. Well the only truth is that I married, the other two haven't happened. Another fortune teller told me that I :) would also have 2 boys. Does anybody believe in fortune tellers? Or did anybody get a correct prediction.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Why are you so hung on what these people have told you? Do you feel you cannot travel a lot or have two sons with out them telling you first? I am sure that by the time your life is through you will have traveled a lot. We all do. You may have two sons and two girls. I guess you will just have to wait and see.
    There are a lot of people out there that will tell you anything for a buck. There are some out there that may be able to tell your future. The ones that can are helping the police find criminals.
    If we knew everything that was going to happen to us in our life time then what would be the point of going through it every day. Forget about the future, it does not exist. Right here, right now, is where everything is really happening.
    Get Eckart Tolle's The Power of Now. The CD is excellent. He can explain why you need to be here, in the now and not creating mental movies about something called the future that does not exist and will not come true anyway.
    nasra Posts: 54, Reputation: 7

Jul 26, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Cool answear magprob.:) :) No you are right, I do agree with you completely, when I was younger I used to believe in all that, always looked at my star sign before I went out and everything. If I saw a fortune teller, I would go all excited and think I was seeing the mesiah. Things have changed now and I have grown up. It's the now that matters you are right. :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_teller

1. Predictions almost always use vague terms and do not lend themselves to falsification. Therefore, the prediction is never wrong, but a person's interpretation of it can always be wrong.
    2. Confirmation bias predisposes people to look for cases where predictions can be interpreted as accurate more than they look to find inaccurate ones.
    3. Consumers of fortune-telling services may also fail to realise that statements made about them might reflect reality, but would equally apply to most other people (for instance, the statement "you fought with your parents sometimes as a teenager" applies to a large majority of people). This is the Forer effect.
    4. Fortune-tellers usually exhibit skills at reading people and telling them what they wish to hear (the technique of "cold reading").
    5. A person who performs a divination for himself or herself may be using his or her reactions to the arbitrary stimuli (such as tarot cards) as a way of mentally organizing his or her own thoughts.
    6. Predictions can be a source of amusement and diversion.
    7. Predictions can reduce anxiety about the uncertain future.
    8. When making a decision based on incomplete information, the fortune teller or oracle can reduce the anxiety associated with guessing.
    9. It can be an external source of authority to invoke in support of a decision to be made, or in defense of a decision that was made.
    10. The predictions themselves can cause the subject to alter his or her behaviour in a way that makes the predictions become true, see self-fulfilling prophecy.
    11. Fortune-telling in the context of an individual's belief system has a good chance of being believed.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
    I am glad Magpie pointed out "now". It bears paying attention to it and all the various decisions we are making in it too -- from what I see many people aren't paying much attention. It's the difference between living consciously or not.

I think many of the ones who charge for psychic readings, etc, are scamming. With that said, I am often able to see coming events in a way that I don't consider psychic, although others have called it that. Its more like A + B = C. It's a highly tuned intuition based on discernment that grew over time watching the world. It was a strange offshoot of a mental illness I have that motivated me to pay attention at an unusually close level. And the odd thing is I have yet to find any really constructive way to use it -- its one of the things I have asked God about the most.

If I warn people, they don't believe me and they still get hurt. If I try to prevent the bad event from happening, it simply happens another way. I occasionally use it to help me make personal decisions and my closest friends who have seen how it works do likewise, but that's about all. Seeing the future is one thing -- being able to change it is an entirely different matter, I have learned. Mostly it's a pain in the butt to me, frankly.

I would advise being skeptical of anything that motivates you to pay someone money. I have visited the town of Cassadaga here in Florida, which is where many spiritualist or mediums live. I had someone there give me a reading that turned out so vague it was a disappointment and she tried to salvage it be calling me a "sensitive". Helping out the police is not the same since I could see some level of objectivity being mainained in those circumstances. That's my perspective and I hope it was helpful to you.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Jul 30, 2006, 07:33 AM
    I want to know if I have some ability to connect with the future when it comes to death... I had a dream where fire balls followed me as I ascended up and all I heard was me crying for my mate and how sorry I was for him this image came in my dreams and has bothered me for some time... I even had a dream that I was being stabbed in the chest and woke up with pain in the center of my chest... I cannot watch a woman giving birth without the thought that some I know has died and finding out the next day that some had died that I knew... I saw a black eye on a relative and knew that he was having a stroke and told him so... I knew that a relative was died and was looking for someone to care for him... a phone call later the police called to inform his parents that he had been in the morgue for 10 days... I seen to be every one's else luck charm and not my own... I am speaking publicly about this for the first time... all I want to know... am I able to predict certain happenings or are these events just coincidence...
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Honestly, there are many different paths one person can take in their life. Phychics may be reading what path they may see you take. You are putting way too much into these readings. As far as children are concerned, who is to say your not going to have children? Your married and some day I do believe you will have children but that is up to you with whatever path is meant to be in your life. Many people make the mistake of putting all there life together according to what a phychic suggested to you. Many people are susceptible to the suggestions and actually live out what the phychic tells them. So you are the one that decides what paths you take in life. A fortune tellar makes money. People I believe do have true gifts, including myself. My own personal experiances of the future events coming true. I never used the gift to make money, I only used it to help others that were close to me, or even others that I have met. So does the gift exist yes it does. You have to think about who is genuine and who is not. Anybody who charges and makes money off this is not genuine.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search