Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeremu Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Washing machine only works in spin cycle
    I have an old Kenmore 80 Washer and nothing works, but the spin-cycle.
    Many posts say that it's the Water inlet valve, but I don't want to spend $30-$40 to change it if it's not the right part.

If it's the Water inlet valve, I figured if I filled the washer up with water the washing machine should start to aggregate. :confused:
    But that didn't work... so I tuned on the spin cycle and drained all the water.

Next I removed the Water inlet valve.
    I hooked up my Multimeter to the valve connector for hot water.
    Then I turned the knob to Hot and turned on the washer.
    The voltage was at around 20V.
    The same for the cold water connector.
    The valve seems to be getting power.

Then I opened up the valve and removed the spring, metal piece and the rubber piece.
    Hooked it all back up and turned on the washer and then turned on the water.
    It was leaking a little bit, but my main goal was to see if the washer would aggregate after it got full.
    After it was full I turned off the water, but no aggregate!

Could it still be the Water inlet valve?

Jan 16, 2009, 03:50 PM

I broke down and bought the valve.
    There is a no return policy for any electrical part so lets hope it works.

Kenmore 80 Series Washer
    Model: 110.82881810

Part: Water inlet valve
    No. 285805

Bigger Image
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2009, 08:53 PM

It could be the water level switch. (pressure swith inside the console with the little hose connected to it).

Jan 19, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pokefan7790 View Post
    It could be the water level switch. (pressure swith inside the console with the little hose connected to it).
    You're RIGHT!!

There is a little purple wire connected to the water level switch that was corroded and all green (like oxidized copper.) Also the connector for the purple wire looked like it was all warped and maybe burnt. It was so corroded that it wasn't connected any more. I figure that I got Voltage to the Water Inlet Valve connectors because I moved something just right and the purple wire was connected for that moment.

Soooo... I replaced the connector and cleaned the terminal.
    Reconnected everything and it's all working again.

Now my wife... uh... I mean... I... can do laundry all day.
    This is awesome with a family of 7! :eek:

Jan 19, 2009, 09:04 PM

I also wanted to say that I did replace the Water Inlet Valve (WIV) and just happened to see the warped connector while installing it.

SO there is a possibility that the WIV was also bad, but I would bet the $35 that I spent on the part that it was OK.

The reason I mention the WIV is because the part I got from Sears is not the exact part that was in my washer. The WIV was replaced by the one I showed in the picture (285805.)

I cannot disassemble the one they gave me.
    The part is not a comfortable or exact fit.

I can only connect the new WIV with one screw because the holes are in different spots.

So be aware!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washing machine spin cycle [ 2 Answers ]

My Kenmore washer will go through the wash cylce but when it reaches the spin cycle the water will drain out but will not spin out. I did replace the motor isolation cupling, but that did not take care of the problem. I'm thinking that the control magnet could be the culprit. Any thoughts?? LAJ

Washing machine noisy spin cycle. [ 1 Answers ]

Maytag Performa washing machine makes a loud roaring humming noise only when in spin cycle, with water leakage under the machine.

Washing Machine Noise During Spin Cycle [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I own a Maytage Neptune MAH4000 washing machine. Lately, the spin cycle has been getting more noisy until now when it sounds like an airplane ready to taxi down the runway. I opened the back of the washer to observe and noticed a lot of vibration and large sway of the tub during spin. ...

WHIRLPOOL washing machine does not drained during spin cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering if there is a quick fix to my problem, the water in my washer drains OK but the clothes are all wet when the spin cycle is finished?

View more questions Search