Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeusters Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Is thermostat blue wire needed?
    I'm replacing a old thermostat with a new digital Honeywell one. On the old one both the Yellow and Blue wires are connected to the Y screw. I also have a green, red, and white. The new ones instructions say do not use wires marked B. This one is not marked B but I figure it refers to the blue wire. Should I just not hook up or put the two together like on the old one? I would rather not just hook up and see what way works because I rent and Landlord would be very unhappy with me if I broke anything.
    Thanks for any help
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 01:53 PM
    There is no way to tell from here since the way the old thermostat was wired was not to the standard color code. You will have to trace all wires to where they go then note which colors do what at the furnace. When you have all that info we can try to help. BTW The yellow wire to the Y screw is usually used for the contactor in the outside A/C unit. I have a bad feeling that someone put the blue on with the yellow to activate a add on relay for the blower. But this is just a guess.

Jan 13, 2009, 07:56 AM

I pulled the plate off the wall and there are just 4 wires(bundled) coming out of the wall. The blue comes out of the wall and not the yellow. The yellow wire that is connected to the yellow screw in front is soldered(?) to a spot on the back of the plate. Looks like the plate was made this way. Think I should connect the blue wire that is connected to Y on old to Y on new? I have not looked at the board at furnace. It was not visible and I did not want to open the furnace up if I did not have to.
    Thanks again.

Jan 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
    It was not visible and I did not want to open the furnace up if I did not have to

That is your decission. More than likely they used the blue but the only way to tell for sure is to look.

Jan 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
    I hooked the blue to the Y. New thermostat works well. Thanks for your help. I was reluctant to open the furnace because Landlords live next door, I have to go outside and through a cellar door to get to furnace. They would not like me messing with it even though just looking would not hurt anything.

Jan 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Glad you got it working

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

X1 Wire, blue [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, I am trying to change out my themostat, I have a white-rodgers 1F58W-72, and I can tie all the wires ecept for a "X1" wire, which I don't know what it will transfer to. I have the these ready to put on my new digital thermostat, Y, W2, R, O, B, G; but nothing for the blue X1...

Blue wire on a carrier AC 38CKC060300 [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on my A/C unit stopped working. Sometimes it will start and run for a few minutes and then stop another time it just doesn't start, it tries to start but doesn't seem to have enough torque to start, even if I turn it it still doesn't continue but it tries. I purchased a replacement...

How to wire 3 wire 2 zone cooling only to Honeywell thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

I currently have two zones for cooling only and the thermostat wires are red, blue and white. The red is labeled Rc which is easy, the white is labeled W Heat (this doesn't make sense to me) and the blue is labeled cool? What I think I need to do is connect the red to the Rc on the thermostat,...

Blue house eletrical AC wire [ 3 Answers ]

I am making repairs to my house wiring. The house is 46 years and is in San Diego. Many of the junction boxes have two blue wires and a white running through metal conduit. I am use to black, white, bare, red and geen colors so am confused what the blue ones are for. With only a white and two blues...

Loose Blue Wire [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help finding out where this loose wire should go. We have a 9 year old house and lennox gas furnace 80MGF series. Were not getting heat, it has a slow flash(no call for heat)on the LED code. The emergency heat will ignight the burners and we can get heat that way, but I don't want to...

View more questions Search