Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randyshoe Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Jul 26, 2006, 02:51 PM
    New countertop experiment?
    We were watching DIY network and they showed us how to redo the kitchen countertops using epoxy grout for the entire surface. We were wondering if anyone has really tried this and if so, what were the outcomes? Is it worth it or will it just make the kitchen look worse than it already is. It was used as an inexpensive alternative to a concrete countertop. Any feedback would be appreciated. :p
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2006, 02:53 AM
    Man, I'd be exremely leery. I couldn't find it on the diy network site, but would love to see one done to see how easy it is to get it perfectly level.

If you're seriously considering it, I'd suggest getting a cheapie section of countertop from Lowes/HomeDepot and trying it out first.
    imdaqueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
    The show "Decorating Cents" aired on HGTV. I have spent the afternoon trying to find epoxy grout. Apparently it's not common and very expensive. I'm still researching and will keep you posted.
    nonpocillovist Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Nov 16, 2006, 02:06 AM
    I took a weekend workshop on concrete sculpture, which included trying out a hybridized concrete product called "Milestone." It has great adherence properties and can tinted to almost any color using universal pigments (the pigments that they put in paint when you have it custom mixed). Supposedly you can apply the Milestone in a layer as thin as 1/32 of an inch. This might be an alternative for you -- although Milestone is also very pricey and I don't know if you can get it outside of Seattle.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 05:08 AM
    The chances of anything sticking to a laminate counter top are better if you sand the gloss off. As far as sticking goes, the coarser the better. A thick, high solids material like an epoxy will hide the sand scratches.

Try some of the specialty paint stores.
    martyray1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 07:16 AM
    The epoxy grout can be found at "tile x design" out of Minnesota. Their e-mail address is [email protected] and their web site is tilexdesign.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Mar 9, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Lowe's and home depot also sale the epoxy grout, from all I can tell the only difference in the epoxy grout than standard grout is much stronger and more durable
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Hey guys , did you notice this thread was 2 years old? Epxoy grout can run $25 for a 1/2 gal tub, not a very cheap replacement approach I'd say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any Countertop Ideas Needed ! [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I Have Never Posted On Any Site Before , So Please Be Patient. I Need To Know If Anyone Has Ideas On Replacing , Resurfacing Or Painting Our Existing Kitchen Countertops. We Have Laminate Tops Now And Have Gotten Bids For Just Replacing The Sheets And For Actually Replacing The Whole Thing....

Removing cooking oil from wood countertop. [ 0 Answers ]

On my wooden countertop there is a lot of cooking oil residue (due to lot's of frying). I would judge that some of it has been there for 3 months or so. It's obviously very sticky now. What's the best way to remove the oil that's stuck there?

Phyics Experiment [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am a High school student and working on a Rocket shoot experiment. The objective of this experiment is to hit someone with a a rocket using specifications that each student has. The main part of this experiment is to calculate the horizontal distance from the rocket to where the person has to...

View more questions Search