Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VBNomad Posts: 65, Reputation: 7

Jul 26, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Access loads a bitmap into a OLE object as a package
    My client has 3 aging Access 97 dbs that run the production floor of a large plastic manufacturing plant. These are in the process of being replaced by much more robust, professional grade manufacturing control systems. The client is investing millions in the new systems, so redesign at this point is not an option, nor is upgrading to some newer version of Access. The application keeps small bitmap images in the database to show the types of defects existing in finished products. This has been working fine for several years, and now I need to add one more bitmap for a new code. Every time I try to load the bitmap into an OLE object field, it changes to a 'package' and will not show when extracted from the database.

What is Access reacting to that causes it to load a bitmap as a 'package'?

[This basic question was asked back in February and closed without any real answer. So I'm asking about it again.]
    VBNomad Posts: 65, Reputation: 7

Jul 26, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Found a workaround if there is data in the table already (my clients case). Copy the "Bitmap Image" Ole Object from an existing row, and past it into the new row. Then open it and cut and paste the new bitmap into MS Paint. Then use the save to table option from Paint. It save the new image to the table, but because it was originally a bitmap, it stays that way instead of turning to a 'package'.
    What it is doing I still don't know, but at least I have my bitmap in the table now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Its good you found a workaround. But I can tell you that the database was not designed according to best practices. Actually embedding bitmaps in an Access database will cause database bloat and cause performance problems. The recommended method is to store the path to the image file as part of the record and use an unbound Image control to display the image file.

I mention this in case anyone else sees this and tries the emulate the design.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wind Loads [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know how to calculate the wind load on a wooden fence? I have used 12 foot 4 x 4 pressure treated posts set in 4 feet of concrete spaced 8 feet apart. The concrete was poured in a 12 inch in diameter concrete tube. I used a strong concrete mix in the ratio 3:2:2. I want to use...

No software loads but linux [ 7 Answers ]

I'm working on an e-machine which has a 19gig hd a 1.0 ghz celeron, a cd, and 256 mb PC 100 memory It sees all this stuff in the bios( this means that its not a hdd,cd,floppy,mem error) it runs knoppix ( linux on a cd) fine ( this means that its not overheating) knoppix sees the hard drive...

Bitmap into ole object field in MS Access [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Access 2000 database table with an OLE object field, into which I insert a bitmap image. (This is an existing database whose design I am not authorized to change). When I do this on the system in my office, everything is fine. The image is properly displayed on the form. However, when I...

View more questions Search