Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 25, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Photo I thought worth sharing.
    Came across this in the underbrush in Charlestown, RI this weekend. Just got around to unloading the camera. Come across them from time to time, particularly there, but rarely get such a good shot due to low lighting conditions. Thankfully the mother wasn't too close by, thus my head is still relatively attached to my body. I did say relatively. ;) :D
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 02:59 AM
    Great shot, Thomas!

Haha, yeah, your lucky that mom did not come along and kick the innards out of you. :p
    Jay_Jay Posts: 74, Reputation: 15

Jul 26, 2006, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Great shot, Thomas!

Haha, yeah, your lucky that mom did not come along and kick the innards out of you. :p
    LOL :p Cool picture
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 09:17 PM
    So what did she dress out at?

Jul 26, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Only photograph them. Sorry. I realize my wording could be a bit unclear. Don't hunt myself. Don't even smack mosquitoes. :)
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2006, 03:06 AM
    Great pic.
    Very sweet :)
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 27, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Totally agree with the other posts, great shot. Very often these opportunist shots turn out to be award winners or used for some sort of advertising.

I generally carry my camera on the off chance of a shot like this. (Mind you there are no wild deer over here), But a stroll along the hedgerows or on the cliffs, you never know.

Keep posting shots like this. What gear do you use, anything professional?

Jul 27, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Hi Colbtech,
    Thanks a lot. I always have my camera with me when I hike. I try to have it in the car most of the time as well. Anytime I don't bring it, I always regret it, because I inevitably end up seeing something great.
    I just use a relatively inexpensive digital camera. Right now I'm using a Fujifilm S5100 with a 370mm lens. It's the best camera I've had in quite some time.
    I have been attempting to market framed prints from time to time, really haven't entered contests though. Took 4th in the one that I did, sponsored by the CT Audubon Society (a wildlife and land preservation organization here in the US) and a local photography club.
    I was just on my way out at the end of my hike, when I saw this deer out of the corner of my eye. Definitely a lucky shot. I rarely get such a good picture of one.

Jul 27, 2006, 06:01 AM
    A few years back I used to have a Canon EOS600 with 24-70 and 70-210. Then it got too expensive with developing, etc (especially after a few weeks of holiday).

Bought a Pentax Optio 5Mp digital camera. Best move ever, wouldn't mind moving back to the Canon SLR digital cameras though.

Jul 27, 2006, 06:14 AM
    I started with a standard SLR camera -- can't for the life of me remember what brand :confused: -- and mostly used a 70-300mm lens. After that, I went through quite a few digital cameras. Was a big fan of Olympus for a while. I've never owned a digital SLR. I agree though, I went through way too much film without getting enough good shots to justify the expense. I love working in digital. What do you like to photograph? I mostly do nature, some scenic stuff like barns and covered bridges.

Jul 27, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Very similar interests, mainly local landscapes, my pets (5 cats) etc. Yesterday I was on a point overlooking the bay by my parents house and there was a fog bank with holes in it over a headland about a mile away. Had a little trouble with the autofocus, initially because of the lack of detail.

Looking forward to Thailand over Christmas and the New Year (1 month) should get a lot of shots.

Jul 27, 2006, 06:51 AM
    That sounds neat. I definitely want to get into more scenic stuff. Would particularly love to do more stuff around the ocean, I'm not far from the water at all. I have three dogs and two cats myself, but I'm definitely more of a cat person. One of the reasons I like my current camera, is the autofocus works really well. Doing so much wildlife, I really don't bother with manual focus. You're lucky going to Thailand for a month! I absolutely love Thai cuisine. You should get a lot of spectacular shots there. I wish I had the opportunity to travel more. I've never been outside the US, except for parts of Canada.

Jul 27, 2006, 07:07 AM
    At 50, I have been single for 18 months or so and never had so much fun . 2nd wife down the pan (thank God), both glad we're finished.

Looking forward to wife 3, wherever the poor girl is lookout!

Loads of time for my hobbies, garden, cats, holidays, social life, travel, etc... absolutely great. Occasionally could do with a good woman around the house but not permanently, not yet anyway.

Bring it on Thailand.

Travel is great, getting there is a pain but when you are somewhere new, the photo opportunities multiply by the thousand, not to mention the culture and peoples.

Jul 28, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Just turned 36 about a week and a half back myself. Never married, though I wish I were. I guess it's true what they say, be careful what you wish for! :) It's funny, everyone I know who is in a relationship, married, or has kids, is thoroughly miserable. I wish for such, but don't currently have it. My friends envy my situation, telling me "I got the world by the balls", but often times I feel it's quite the other way around! It's funny.
    Sorry it didn't work out. But anyhow, it must be nice to have some time to yourself to pursue many of the things you enjoy. Hope you have a great time in Thailand, that should be awesome. :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 28, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Terrific shot Thomas, beautifully framed too!
    I believe that is the very same expression my lab pup has mastered :p LOL
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Excellent shot Thomas. I believe that could win you an award. It is beautiful, I would certainly buy a print if I saw it in a galary! You must have a peace about you to have gotten him to stay still even that long.

Jul 28, 2006, 10:04 PM
    Thanks Val. :) Thanks Cassie. :) I had actually taken at least 12 shots over a period of a few minutes from no more than 8 feet away. It was great. He made no attempt to move away until I stood back up. If you do wish to make a print of it, I will gladly e-mail you the full-size pic, good for up to 11x14 photo quality prints. I would post it here, but it is far too large both in dimensions and flie size.
    Thanks again.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Love the pic. We have deer around our place. Wish I could get a shot like that
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Aug 11, 2006, 08:09 AM
    WOW! Great picture!
    ninjahmelx3 Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Beautiful picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thought I would share this PM [ 6 Answers ]

Hey folks, I thought I would share this PM I got from hedieh. Guess we got through!! I love to hear a happy ending!! :D:D

Is it worth [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 16 and I think I mite like my friends ex I've tlked to him about it and he says he is over her and my friends think I should ask her out. EVeryone but me thinks it is a guaranteed yes and I don't know... I have had bad experience in the past with her friend who had basically played me and said...

Thought to ponder! [ 4 Answers ]

In read posts from this very helpful site, a came across this quote from another site I visit. Seem appropriate. experience Without experiences which render life unbearable and which make the hope of something new appear alluring and promising, there is no impulse toward inner change. But...

Food For Thought [ 6 Answers ]

For almost 50 years an nonprofit agency has been located in a town building. This nonprofit was started by a church group and continues to be under the churches umbrella. Does a local government official have the right to governance over this nonprofit organization because it is in a town...

I thought we were in it for the long haul [ 8 Answers ]

It all started a few weeks ago I walked in the door to my 22 year old (I just turned 23) husband acting weird and saying we need to talk. Before I go into detail let me give you a little insight on the situation I got married to my high school sweetheart two years ago September, and we have been...

View more questions Search