Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 11, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Geo Prizm cranks, won't start
    I've got a 1996 Geo Prizm, with automatic transmission. I was on my way home last night, and suddenly the engine got loud, like I was missing a muffler or catalytic converter. I stopped, took a look at everything underneath, and it was all still there and together. I was about a mile from the next exit, so I thought I'd try to drive off the highway.

I started it back up, it didn't start easy... it would then stall if I took my foot off the gas. There was a big loss of power. Just before I got to the exit (about a mile later), I lost power completely and the car started slowing down. The car stalled, and the oil light may have come on... I'm not sure if it was on right before it stalled, or after along with the battery light (it happened kind of fast).

Now when I try to start it, it cranks, but will not turn over. I can hear the fuel pump come on.

I did have a problem a few weeks ago, with all the snow, my exhaust system was disconnected right before the catalytic converter. I drove it home from work, and to the hardware store for some bolts, like that. I was told that not having the back pressure from the catalytic converter and muffler can wear down the engine pretty quickly; I drove it about 10 miles that way before I was able to fix it.

Any advice would be appreciated:) My sister's boyfriend is a mechanic, but he isn't here to take a look for me, lol.

Jan 11, 2009, 11:19 AM

Slight update:

I talked to the mechanic, but I think he missed some of what I was saying... he suggested it might be a bad fuel pump, and he's going to try to make it out here to look at it for me today.

I just went out and tried it, after letting it sit over night. It fired up as soon as I turned the key, but it idled very... badly? Like it was misfiring, very... choppy. It stalled after about 5 seconds. It was also louder than normal.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 12:58 PM

Very few fuel pumps fail and need replacing on modern-day cars, even though many get replaced. Instead, I would go over the basic electrical system and replace:

. Spark plugs (exact NGK plugs that came in the car), rotor, and distributor cap.

. Ignition Control Module (ICM):

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

. Coil:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

I recommend replacing ICMs and coils every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. It's likely the spark plugs or ICM is causing the problems. 90%+ of starting/running problems are electrical-related, not fuel. If you haven't replaced the fuel filter in the last 60,000 miles, however, I would replace it:

Fuel filter:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...Type=4&PTSet=A

I have to leave to your judgment whether the catalytic converter issue is a contributing factor or not. I can't begin to assess that from here.

Jan 11, 2009, 02:34 PM

I would think the catalytic converter would be fine... that was a few weeks ago, and after I got it back together the check engine light went off and has been working fine since. Just thought it may have contributed to something else.

Thanks for all the info! I'll check out the spark plugs first, and go from there. Unfortunately I don't have many tools here at my apartment, so it's going to be a few days. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 02:53 PM

That's a good plan.

Jan 13, 2009, 05:15 PM

Well, it had spark. That pretty much eliminates what I might have been able to do in my apartment parking lot in the snow, lol. The car is at a mechanic shop now... they're going to look at it tomorrow.

Jan 15, 2009, 06:24 AM

The verdict:
    Timing is off, belt is worn.
    Cylinder 1 is low on compression, it's 75, they said it should be around 140.
    Cylinder 3 has no compression.
    Blown head gasket.
    Knock in engine.

They quoted me $1,500-$2,500 to fix it. I only paid $1,200 for the car, a year ago...

Daaaaaang.
    purelead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2011, 07:31 AM
    Anser:for I've got a 1996 Geo Prizm the won't start .
    It is you crank position sensor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cranks no start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1997 power stroke diesel engine. I have fuel pressure, It cranks but no start. I can get it to run only with starting fluid. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

My prizm cranks but won't start [ 10 Answers ]

Ok all, here's a brief history of what has been going on with this car. 1994 geo prizm 1.6L had it 2 years with no problems till now. Drove 3 miles to the store and it died going over RR tracks. Couldn't get it cranked again so called someone to get me and when they got there it cranked right up....

Cranks, but won't start. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Toyota pickup with a 22RE engine. It will crank over perfect but only attempts to start as if it were starving for fuel. It will run on starting fluid, but then dies out.

93 Del Sol cranks but doesn't start. With a twist [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Found lots of helpful info here, so joined to ask a specific question. My 1993 Del Sol 1.6 Si Auto has 122K on it and always ran well. I washed it Sunday, moved it in the driveway, left it sit for 30 minutes, tried to move it again and it fired once and then died, never to restart. ...

99 explorer cranks but will not start [ 1 Answers ]

Vehicle ran fine yesterday, full gas tank and battery is up. Turn signals were not working, so a friend took out each fuse in both fuse box and replaced them after a visual inspection. After the fuse inspection, the vehicle will crank, but not start. Have since reset the "rollover switch" for...

View more questions Search