Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbiny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 03:36 AM
    Making a word equation out of a symbol equation
    Hey,

I'm new here.
    I don't understand this thing with the word equation so well. I wondered if anybody could tell me if this is correct:

CH4+3 O2 -> CO2+2 H2O (CH4=methane)

my answer (the word equation):

one methane atom (?) reacts with three oxygen molecules (?) to give one carbon cabon dioxide (ATOM OR MOLECULE?? ) +two water molecules (?)
    I'd be thankful if somebody would answer me.

thanks
    starbiny^^:D
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 11, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbiny View Post
    CH4 + 3 O2 -> CO2 + 2 H2O . . . (CH4 = methane)

one methane atom (?) reacts with three oxygen molecules (?) to give one carbon cabon dioxide (ATOM OR MOLECULE???) + two water molecules (?)
    Hello starbiny

Methane = CH4 = 1 C atom + 4 H atoms ---> So is Methane an atom or a molecule ?
    Oxygen = O2 = 2 oxygen atoms ---> So is Oxygen in this case an atom or a molecule ?
    Carbon dioxide CO2 = 1 C atom + 2 O atoms ---> So is Carbon dioxide an atom or a molecule ?
    Water H2O = 2 H atoms and 1 O atom ---> So is Water an atom or a molecule ?

Note :

An atom is always a single unit (that exists of a combination of a proton/neutron core with one or more electrons).
    Molecules are always a connected group of 2 or more atoms.

In nature most matter is in molecule - and not in atom - format.

:)

rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 13, 2009, 10:20 AM
    First note that if an atom is alone (not combined with another atom -- even of its own kind), it is an "atom". Otherwise, it is a molecule. O2 is a molecule while O is an atom.

So,

CH4+3 O2 -> CO2+2 H2O (CH4=methane)

One molecule of methane reacts with three molecules of oxygen to yield (or to give) one molecule of carbon dioxide and two molecules of water.

Often, instead of saying "molecules", chemists will say "moles" meaning "gram molecular weights", since most chemists don't work with single atoms or molecules. So, I might say:

One mole of methane reacts with three moles of oxygen to yield one mole of carbon dioxide and two moles of water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Really Need Helping forming the equation from the Word equation! [ 1 Answers ]

OK here we go I have been working forever on this question and I need help!! Zinc Sulfate heptahydrate + Potassium Carbonate PLEASE HELP!!

Word Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Tom takes his motorboat upstream to his favorite fishing spot, a distance of 36 miles, in 2 hours. The return trip of the same distance takes only 1 hour 30 minutes. If the boat travels at top speed in both directions, what is the speed of the currents? :confused:

Word equation as chemical equation and balance [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with these. I don't get it.:confused: Aluminum bromide + chlorine yield aluminum chloride +bromine Potassium chlorate when heated yields potassium chloride + oxygen gas Hydrogen +nitrogen monoxide yield water + nitrogen

View more questions Search