Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbelcner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Oatey Sure-Vent and a gurgling toilet
    I have 4 of the Oatey Sure-Vent Air Admittance Valves which are rated at 20 DFUs each. When the washing machine drains it causes two toilets to gurgle. Is there a way to know if one has gone bad? Is there a way to know if they were installed properly.

Any other pointers to give to relieve the gurgling toilets would be apprciated.

Thanks,
    JB:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 08:59 PM

Is your washer tied to a AAV line? 4 AAV is a lot, why so many and are there other drains connected to a standard vent stack?

Jan 11, 2009, 12:33 PM
    I am pretty sure that my AAV is tied to the washer.

It is located in the laundry room, there is a 1/2 bath next to the laundry room, which I am assuming is tied to the same AAV since there is not one in the 1/2 bath.

I also have two sinks in the master which have AAVs under each, with the 4th one under the kitchen sink (dishwasher drains through here).

There are no vents on the roof or attic. I can't tell what is attached to what, but can say that there is no common stack outside.

JB
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Is there a way to know if one has gone bad? Is there a way to know if they were installed properly.
    A "gurgle" indicates that the drain's venting through the toilets. Either vthe pumps too powerful or you have a faulty AAV.
    A AAV works on pressure with a diaphragm,(see image). To check one I gently both blow and suck on it. It should close with the blow and open up with the suction. They install just downstream from the trap, (see image).
    Good luck, Tom

Jan 11, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Since the pipes are in the wall, how can I tell if the AAV is installed properly? Should it be a certain elevation above the trap?

JB
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 06:08 PM

Did you say inside the awll, AAV do not belong inside a wall, ever.

Jan 18, 2009, 07:39 PM
    I did say in the wall, but the vent is outside... my bad on the graphics. I guess what is perplexing me is the washer drains and the master toilet gurgles?? I would expect the 1/2 bath would be the only gurgle. I might assume that there is a blockage somewhere or one of the four vents are not working right.

Anyway, would I hurt anything if I snake these pipes??

Thanks for the help.

JB:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oatey in line vent for sewage pump in the basement [ 14 Answers ]

I am in th process of adding a basement bathroom in my house.I have hired a lic plumber. The plumber is running vent line to the sink the toilet and the shower (Lets call it vent line 1).He than connects this vent line 1 to the vent line coming out of the sewage ejector pump (Vent line 2).He...

Gurgling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have used an auger,plunger and that "one second plumber" already but our toilet drains so freaking slow it has been 2 days now.I don't know what to do with it.we live in a basement of a fourflex... help

Gurgling Toilet [ 2 Answers ]

The toilet in my basement gurgles when the upstairs toilet is flushed. The toilet in the basement does not flush properly (when I flush it just fills with water). If I hold the handle it will empty completely but start to gurgle when bowl is refilling. I've tried plunging and I've tried shooting it...

Oatey Sure-Vent [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are adding a 1/2 bath to a remodeled attached garage. We are looking for venting options as we would have to put a stack vent for sewer In the outer most point of the front of our home. We will have our washing machine Waste, a vessel sink and toilet to vent. Do you feel that...

LOUD gurgling from sink vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Just moved into 2nd floor apt in 4 story townhouse (built circa 1900). The bathroom sink vent pipe gurgles and splashes LOUDLY (wakes me up every time) when upstairs neighbors use sink. My plumber tells me the vent pipe is blocked somewhere above us, and as the water comes down the pipe it is using...

View more questions Search