Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbjanda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 05:17 PM
    Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off
    I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting.

The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water was turned off. I was able to get the fitting on, but it is not quite right and needs to be redone (slight leak, can't not tighten it anymore). I've got the line dumping into a 5 gallon bucket. I would say there is enough water coming out to fill it up in 2-3 hours.

Does anyone have any ideas on why water will not stop coming out. It seems to be the only one in the house that way. There is plenty of copper left to cut to try another compression valve, but I don't really want to try that with the water spraying out again.

Thanks,

Paul
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Hey Paul:

Sounds like the main water shutoff is defective/old...

If you can, I would have you shut the main water supply again and then open all faucets in the home in the lowest part of the house (hopefully a sink in basement)... that should divert the water from where you are working to allow you the time needed to cut the copper and replace the shutoff again.

This time... do not overtighten the compression fitting. Start by going hand tight plus 1/2-3/4 turn and see how that does. Overtightening with these fittings leads to leaks. Also be sure not to use any PIPE DOPE on the compression fitting/ferrule/threads.. OK? Pipe dope is also a no-no with these fittings.

Let me know what you think here... I'll check back every few minutes or so for awhile... ;)

MARK

PS: You should also consider calling the city/town water department and discuss how they can coordinate with a local plumber to change that defective/old shutoff over to a nice new BALL VALVE!!
    pbjanda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks Mark,

It went a little better the second time. I was not able to relieve the pressure, but I was able to cut it off, stuff a plastic bag down the tubing, and thread the nut and fitting on with the bag still in. I barely got wet.

Unfortunately, the fitting did not quite take once again. I hand tightened and then went 1/8 turn at a time after that. It's much better this time. A towel underneath should do for the night instead of emptying the bucket every 2 hours. I've still got plenty of copper left to try it tomorrow after I pick up a couple more compression nuts. After that its plumber time.

I now have a slight drip coming from the main shutoff. I'm guessing your right about it being the source of my problem. I will look into that asap.

Thanks for all of your help.

Paul
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:53 PM

As massplumber said, find the first fixture after the main shutoff and open it all the way with the water off. Turn the hot water off too. And drain that line. Not the heater. Sometimes there is some cross-coupling of hot and cold water.

You'll have to find the curb stop and turn off the water for the entire house to replace the main valve if your allowed to do it.

In my area, you can just pay a deposit and borrow the tools or if your in a nearby city, the city must turn it on and off. It's also possible that only licensed plumbers are allowed to do it.

We need a pentagon socket and a long T wrench.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Supply Main Shutoff Valve installation [ 5 Answers ]

The 2006 International Residential Code, P2903.9.1, Service Valve, States that the valve shall be of a full open type having nominal restriction to flow with provision for drainage such as a bleed orifice or installation of a separate drain valve. How are the plumbing experts handling the waste...

Toilet water supply line PEX to ? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey Guys, You all have been such a great help with my questions about our bathroom remodel. I have one final question... I hope! I am re-routing the water supply line for the toilet. The old line was galvanized steel and I am replacing it with PEX, which has been easy peasy to put together. ...

Shutting off hot water heater and main water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a cabin that has well water and a hot water heater that is run off the oil furnace. I shut off the well tank when I left but forgot to shut off the hot water heater. Does anyone know if I can damage the heater by having the main water shut off and leaving the water heater on?

Water supply line--ice maker [ 4 Answers ]

The turn handle on our water supply line to ice maker is stuck--won't turn left or right. What do we do. We're afraid to force it.

Clogged main water supply line [ 1 Answers ]

After repairing a leak in my main water supply line, I have low water pressure throughout the house. When, for example, I turn on the sink, pressure is normal for about five seconds, then it gets progressively weaker. It does not stop altogether, however it is very weak. Clogged line perhaps? ...

View more questions Search