Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Jan 10, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Oxy-Fuel Torch Problems
    I'm a jeweler using a Smith "Little Torch." Recently, when the gas is lit, the flow isn't constant; the length of the flame (amount of gas) changes (increases) around every 2 seconds (which is really, really annoying). Anyone know what this means?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 01:05 PM

What gasses are you using: MAPP, Propane, Aceteline?

Are you using oxygen?

Does the flame do it's 2 second thing just using fuel or not?
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Jan 10, 2009, 04:44 PM

I'm using Propane and Oxygen.

Yes it happens with just fuel.

It's also kind of cold here: 20 to 30 degrees F. Would that affect anything?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:12 PM

I suspect it's dirt if it happens when the head is absolutely still.

It might be useful to know if orientation of the torch makes any difference from horizontal to verticle and at 45 deg angles.

Take the torch outside.
    What I would do is disconnect the lower gas line from the tip and just burst a little gas out. Take the tip off the torch hea and put the body back on. Open the gas valve on the tip all the way. Burst gas out using the regulator. Then put the tip back on and do the same thing.

Another possibility is a hole in the hose. This you might be able to find by lighting the torch and holding it steady and flexing the hose along it's length while observing the flame.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel problems ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a briggs 26 hp twin was running fine and died cheched spark -ok- cheched fuel to carb and pumping OK pulled carb and bowl looked dry -cheched float was clean not stuck. Is the electric valve on the botttom of the fuel bowl the problem?? Or am I missing something else if you spray ether in...

Fuel problems [ 1 Answers ]

Fuel pump on 12.5hp b&s is a problem. Is there an electric pump available to go around the existing pump? Thanks!

Fuel Injection problems [ 2 Answers ]

CaptainRich- It's a 1999 Dodge Ram1500 pickup V8 5.2 liter. It was bogging down all of sudden and would not shift gears it appeared. In the driveway, I floored it and it shut down. It started the next morning idling fine but still no power - would not get over 15 mph. Plugged in an OBDII and...

Fuel Injection problems [ 6 Answers ]

Can I spay starter spray into a fuel injected carb to get a vehicle started, like we used to do with the old 4 barrels?

View more questions Search