Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ropeboarddanny Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
    I am a teenager with adhd
    And it sucks... I know there is medication for it but I'm looking for a way to at least make it less prominent in a more natural way (no medication) I have trouble remembering things and concentrating, it would really help a lot for your help...
    Eelarch Posts: 116, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2009, 12:47 PM

Maybe doing things like jigsaws and problem solving things?

Start easy and build your way up say start with a 50 piece jigsaw and if you don't have any jigsaws maybe you could try and make a spoon out of a log? It takes effort and skill but don't rush,time yourself and do one more minute a day, start with one minute carving aay and work up
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 02:31 PM

The ways of improving memory and concentration skills can help as Eelarch suggested.

Diet would be another place to start. Look at what you are eating... try to avoid processed foods when possible and have the bulk of your diet be foods in their natural form. Doesn't mean you have to live on nuts and berries (although both of those are remendously healthy for you and should be included! ), but you just want to be more aware. There are a number of books you can get at the library or bookstore on the subject as well as online sites. Talk to your doctor and see about getting a referral to a nutritionist or dietician who has some knowledge in that area.

Set routines help some people, keeping a notepad to write things down to help with remembering works for others.

Certainly there is a time and place for medication so don't be afraid to use it if you need to. Often it is finding the right balance of things that work for you as one size does not fit all.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 03:08 PM

Yes, diet has a real effect, I have personal knowledge of one case where a change in diet allowed them to reduce medication extremely. But in the end, also taking proper medication is important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adhd [ 2 Answers ]

What is ADHD? How does it affect children and adults? What kind of help is out there?

My son has adhd. [ 2 Answers ]

My oldest has adhd,pdd,ocd,odd,his age is 12 but not in his mind.hes doing much better than he was,but I am concerned about his future. Do children like him get better,I mean gain more control over outburst,and socailly as they get older? Does he have a chance of getting married and live what...

What is add or adhd [ 5 Answers ]

reeses420 What is ADD or ADHD. Do 12 month olds scream from this if they have it?

ADHD... What do you think of it? [ 26 Answers ]

Okay I was diagnosed when I was little as having ADHD along with another disease that effects your memory (basically you forget alot). Now I completely agree that I have this other thing cause I am about one of the most forgetful people around! But ADHD I just don't think I have it. I personally...

6 1/2 yr old adhd & odd [ 4 Answers ]

:( Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old mom of 3 kids. My middle child is 6 1/2 years old and has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder as well as Oppositional Defiant Disorder. It is sooo hard to deal with him. It has gotten worse when I had the baby in January. He gets all...

View more questions Search