Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babypaws Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Excess Phlegm and Gasping
    My dog is 15+. He has starting what sounds like licking, but seems to be actually dealing with excess phlegm. When he drinks water, it seems like after several licks, he gasps, and then continues licking water. I haven't taken him to vet yet as it's very difficult because of his arthritis. Is there something I can do to help him now?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 12:19 PM

I have a 13 1/2 year old with the same problem. I've been told, by our vet, that it's because of his age. He breaths heavier and gasps, will actually dry heave trying to get rid of phlegm and he also has arthritis.

At 15 years of age your dog is an old man, it's common for people to start having problems with every day things, and it's also common with dogs. This is the hard part of having a dog, watching them start to get old and have problems.

By all means talk to your vet, it could be something other than just old age, and if there is relief for him then it's important to find it.

I feel for you, I know what you're going through, if you want to talk I'm here.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I have a 13 1/2 year old with the same problem. I've been told, by our vet, that it's because of his age. He breaths heavier and gasps, will actually dry heave trying to get rid of phlegm and he also has arthritis.

At 15 years of age your dog is an old man, it's common for people to start having problems with every day things, and it's also common with dogs. This is the hard part of having a dog, watching them start to get old and have problems.

By all means talk to your vet, it could be something other than just old age, and if there is relief for him then it's important to find it.

I feel for you, I know what you're going through, if you want to talk I'm here.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

I don't know if this could be the case but when my GSD got older he developed inverse breathing. Sounded like he was choking but it was actually post nasal drip !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I give my dog Mucinex for phlegm? [ 6 Answers ]

My dog has congestion & excess phlegm. She already receives Benadryl, which helps somewhat. Can I safely add Mucinex? What dose for a 40# dog?

Phlegm, Water build Up, Dying? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello Well, I have ALWAYs had a problem with phlegm wheater it came from my chest or nose. Lately I been having it a lot from my chest, like I would cough more frenquently, and phlegm would come up. Some times its yellowish ( I was a bit sick) and sometimes it is clear and has the texture...

Sabina is gasping, having short sharp breaths! [ 7 Answers ]

Sabina is now about 15 weeks, and she just recently recovered from kennel cough (except she still has a little runny nose) and now every now and then, maybe three times a day, she has short, fits that last for about thirty seconds or less where she sounds like she's gasping for breath, but instead...

Who keeps the Excess [ 5 Answers ]

When my contractor was through with the job of siding he had 4 squares of siding left ($150 a square)along with extra j channels and outside corners and starter strips... who gets to keep these?I assumed I did because he used my money to order an pay for them... he says its him because I paid for...

Gagging/phlegm [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 month old NSDT Retriever was gagging up phlegm (not his food) throughout the night (Saturday). We are at the lake and do not have close access to a vet. I carefully felt down his throat to see if anything was/is stuck and could not feel anything but he did have a lot more plegm in his...

View more questions Search