Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goobs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 09:02 AM
    4 light on one single pull dimmer
    I have rewired one room in a office and they used to have floresant lights in them. So I took the out and put in can lights. The owner also asked me to put a dimmer on the lights so I did. Now that it is done the light flicker really bad. I witched out the dimmer and put a normal single pull switch in and evrything was just fine. Do you know what is wrong that I can not have a dimmer hooked up to the light because that is what he wants.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 10, 2009, 09:16 AM
    What type of can lights?
    Old type filament bulbs? LED's? 'Saving' fluorescent light bulbs?
    Only filament bulbs will work properly with a dimmer.
    All other lamp types require special dimmer versions, or they will flicker and malfunction.

:)

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 09:57 AM

What was the total wattage of the bulbs and how was the dimmer rated, you may have overloaded it. You can use CFL bulbs in a dimmer if they are the specially designed bulbs for dimming, regulars are not dimmable.

Jan 10, 2009, 10:09 AM
    I have special bulbs that are dimable and they are the new energy efficient ones. They Are 65 watt bulbs, and I do not know what type the can lights are but I remember reading that they can hold up to 120 watt lights

Jan 10, 2009, 10:10 AM

How many 65 watt bulbs did you use and what is the rating on the dimmer switch, fine print on back label.

Jan 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
    I used 4 bulbs and I do not have the paper with me.

Jan 10, 2009, 08:45 PM

Let us know when you have the numbers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Adding a new light with its own pull string to existing light and switch [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I have a 50 year old house where the bathroom light shares a common wall with the back of the master bedroom closet. I want to add a pull string light in the closet and tap the power off the bathroom light. The bathroom light is switched and the power comes first to the light and then...

Need a single handle push pull shower faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I had a Moen faucet in the shower that broke. My shower is fiberglass and I have old style brass plumbing. I do not want to upgrade my shower at this time. What I need is an older style single lever push/pull shower faucet. Where can I find a replacement?

Wiring Canned Lights to a Single Dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

Ok.. I've searched and searched and can't find either clarity or info on how to do this... even though I know it's do-able. Here's my situation, I have 4 canned lights I want to wire to a single dimmer. The power has to go into the light first. ...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

View more questions Search