Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Piscesgurl888 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 12:21 AM
    Birth Certificate different last name from Social Security Card
    I hope I'm on the right forum for this question and I really hope someone can help--I went to the DMV recently to file for a address change on my license, the DMV told me that since the name on my social security card didn't match the name on my license, I would not be able to update my address and I will not be able to renew my license (my expiration date on my license is the end of next month) because of some new law that was passed about eight months ago. Basically, when I was born my birth certificate was put into the last name of my stepfather, but I got my social security number in my real fathers' last name--Now, my parents were suppose to clear this up years ago and never did and I'm not married, so I'm trying to figure out which would be easier, should I try to get my social security put in my birth certificate last name or should I try to get a name change to reflect the name that's on my social security card? I know this is a long and sort of complicated question, but I will be going to the Social Security office next week and I did ask them this same question over the phone, but they weren't very helpful.

Thanks in Advance,

Piscesgurl
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 06:06 AM

The real question here is which is the name you use?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 06:57 AM

Which ever one you do that will be your name you have to use.

In fact I don't know how you ever got a social security card with the other name, since they normally need a copy of your birth certificate to issue one

A name change at the court house if pretty easy. And I am not sure what social security will require,

In either case I don't see either happening by end of the month
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Which ever one you do that will be your name you have to use.

In fact I don't know how you ever got a social security card with the other name, since they normally need a copy of your birth certificate to issue one

A name change at the court house if pretty easy. And I am not sure what social security will require,

In either case I don't see either happening by end of the month

I agree - I don't understand how the SS was assigned without a birth certificate in that name.

My driver's license is in my previous name, not my married name. Couldn't you just renew your license in whatever name it's presently in? I'm somewhat confused about why DMV needs to see a birth certificate for a renewal and/or change of address.

When I changed my address I just filled in the form, signed it with the name on my license (which is my legal name) and that was the end of that.
    Piscesgurl888 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 10:41 PM
    Well... I don't know for sure how they got a social security card in my fathers name and the birth certificate in my stepfathers, but my social security number is on my drivers license---and I guess because of the Homeland Security thing that's going on and since Nevada is doing something different with drivers licenses now (to prevent identity theft, illegal immigration, terrorists, etc).. they want everything as accurate as possible---I thank everyone for your responses and hopefully I'll be able to get this resolved :)
    akenist2187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 08:26 AM
    I have this same problem. I went to renew my license and was told I couldn't do it because my names are different. I was wondering if you ever got this fixed and if so how you did it?
    mike27696 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 07:04 AM
    To those that don't know how you get a SS with a different name than your birth certificate... At birth, the only thing require for a baby to get a SS# card is the hospital birth release papers. I use to do insurance for the state of NYC and the only documents required were copies of the baby's release papers and SS card. I on the other hand had simplified my name years ago at the DMV, from Michael to Mike. Everything I own is in the name of Mike; even my SS card is in the name of Mike. Now the DMV is giving me some grief about this issue.
    Law makers make laws that was never thoroughly thought out, which makes laws, in-house rules and different government departments conflict with each other.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 09:40 AM
    This info is, at best, faulty. To get a SS Number for a newborn (or child) you need to provide the SS Administration with (Request a Social Security number for a newborn "You will have an option to complete this request {the request for a SS number} at the hospital when you apply for your baby's birth certificate. The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child's information with us, and we will mail the Social Security card to you. If this option is not offered at the hospital, follow the steps below: Step 1: Gather documents proving: Age (birth certificate or U.S. passport), Child's Identity. U.S. citizenship if you have not established the child's U.S. citizenship with us, Immigration status if the child is not a U.S. citizen; Step 2: Show us documents proving your: Identity, custody or relationship with the child; Step 3: Complete an Application for a Social Security card; and
    Step 4: Take or mail the completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center. All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.” There are no exceptions. The hospital discharges proves someone had a baby and the baby left the hospital - it is definitely not proof of a relationship with a child.

NYC is a City. NY is a State. You couldn't have “done” insurance for “the State of NYC.” Writing insurance is a lot different from obtaining a birth certificate.

NY DMV cannot and will not just change a person's name on their NY Driver's License. If they were sloppy before this changed when Enhanced Licenses came into play. I don't know how you accomplished this, what proof of the new name you showed. When you get your License you cannot change your name by mail. ANY change has to be done in person, with proof of the new name and connecting it to you - for example, a divorce decree, something else. You can't just decide to change your name on legal ID (which a Drivers License is) because it's something you want to do.

What does this mean: “Law makers make laws that was never thoroughly thought out, which makes laws, in-house rules and different government departments conflict with each other.”

Please - when you answer questions on the legal boards post your source and make sure the info is correct. When you type in bold it's the same as shouting, and I don't see the need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security card for non resident alien? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen married to a Dutch national for the last 15 years. We would like to get my wife a non-working social security card. She has a Taxpayer ID # as we file joint U.S. tax returns. The rules on the Soc. Sec. site are sufficiently vague as to be not very helpful. Anyone know if it...

I suspect someone I know using my social security card. [ 1 Answers ]

To whom it may concern. Recently my social security card was stolen. I kind of suspect someone who is living in the same house hold is me. I suspect this person cause this illegal to be here. And I'm a citizen. Now I reported my social security stolen,but now this pwerson just stated working at...

How Can I get a new Social Security and ID Card which was lost [ 3 Answers ]

A while ago I had my wallet in my pocket and it was taken to the cleaners. I later discovered that it was missing. The cleaners said they didn't have it. This is when my aggravation began. All of my information was in there. The most important pieces were my Photo ID and my social security card....

Asking again, Social Security & Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I had the entire amount in my checking account emptied by an old Credit Card debt, that yes, I have been to court and do owe the amount but my situation is that now I am retired and live on Social Security. At the time of the garnishment there were other funds in this checking account other than...

View more questions Search