Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junctionjam Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
    TAXES applicable on CPT status
    Hello,

Im an Indian.Came to US in May,2008.
    I came to California and I'm still in California.
    Im on F-1.
    Im on CPT.
    Working in Sacramento/California.
    My Payroll is run bi-weekly by my employer.
    My Gross-pay is 2500$ bi-weekly.

What are the taxes deducted on this amount and what is the amount after tax.
    Is Federal Tax deducted? And how much State Tax will be deducted?
    Are there any other taxes deducted?

Please suggest!

Thanks a lot..
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 11:24 PM

What exactly do you want to know? You already know what taxes have been deducted from your pay check; it is your paycheck.

Jan 10, 2009, 04:04 AM
    I want to know how much tax should be deducted? On 2500 bi-weekely.
    I want to cross check my payroll.
    And will the federal tax be deducted when on CPT?
    If so how can I get back the amount paid for federal tax..
    Sugest the process.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 09:46 PM

Your CPT income is subject to income taxes -- both state and federal. You do not pay FICA taxes.
    About deductions, what did you put on your W4 that you gave to employer. Employer deducts taxes based on what you asked them to deduct. If employer is deducting more, you will get a refund. If employer is deducting less, you must pay it with interest and penalty.

Jan 29, 2009, 05:10 PM

Hi

In my W2 form I filled as Independent ,single and no dependents.

Im working in CA,on CPT. From Dec,2008.

As per my paycheck I see that on 2500$ bi-weekly salary Federal Tax (458.65$)+CA State Tax(130.67$) + DBL(27.50$)
    Total Deduction of 616.82$ is deducted from my pay.
    I get 1883.16$

Im on CPT and Im paying my university tution fee of 7000$ per sem. 1)Based on my CPT status and university fee payments will I get any REFUND on the TAX that is been deducted from my payroll? At the time of filling the taxes. 2) What modifications should I make in my W2 form so that this much TAX is not deducted from Payroll. 3) Can I choose to pay the tax at the end of the year rather than deducting in every payroll.

Please suggest!!

Jan 29, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Hi

Im working in CA,on CPT. From Dec,2008.

In my W2 form I filled as Independent ,single and no dependents.

As per my paycheck I see that on 2500$ bi-weekly salary Federal Tax (458.65$)+CA State Tax(130.67$) + DBL(27.50$)
    Total Deduction of 616.82$ is deducted from my pay.
    I get 1883.16$

Im on CPT and Im paying my university tution fee of 7000$ per sem.
    1)Based on my CPT status and university fee payments will I get any REFUND on the TAX that is been deducted from my payroll? At the time of filling the taxes.
    2) What modifications should I make in my W2 form so that this much TAX is not deducted from Payroll.
    3) Can I choose to pay the tax at the end of the year rather than deducting in every payroll.

Please suggest!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
    1) More than likely, you will get a partal refund from the IRS and California, because BOTH require foreign nationals to OVER-withhold to cover any tax liability before they return to their home countries.

2) Due to that over-withholding requirement, you CANNOT adjust your W-4 to lower the withholding.

3) No.

Jan 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Thanks a lot for the quick Response!

Almost 25% of my income is going into Tax deductions.

1)As per rule what is the % of Tax to be deducted when in CPT?

2)Are there any other options available where the TAX deductions can be reduced?

3)someone told me that I can show that I'm still a student and paying university fee + Books and reduce the Tax deductions? Is this correct? If so how to do it?

Please suggest!

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 03:26 PM
    1) 25% sounds right.

2) Nope!

3) There is NOTHING you can do, at least not legally!
    shwetha100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Hi junctionjam

How much did u get back in taxes when you filed your returns in 2010?? Please let me know since I earned the same amount and the same amount was deducted, I want to make sure I get the right amount in this years tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxs applicable upon change of status from OPT to H1 B [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! 1) I am in the US for the entire year in 2008. From January 2008 till Sept 2008 I will be earning income on OPT Status. From Oct 2008 till Dec 2008, I will work on H1 B status (about 92 days). Will I have to pay social security and medicare for the 92 days period that I will be on H1 B status?...

Taxes applicable to J1 holders [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of taxes for applicable for j1 visa holders? What is FICA taxes? Wheather it is applicable to J1 holders? What are the tax exemptions j1 holders?

Taxes applicable to L1 Visa Category [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Friends, I'm planninng to come to California by Mid February 2008 on a L1 Visa category with my wife and 3 1/2 years old daughter. In order to plan my expences would like to know the following from my helpful friends in this community. 1. What are the taxes that I will have to pay...

Taxes applicable for CPT (F-1) [ 5 Answers ]

hey , I am working for a company in Connecticut and I am getting paid 57,000 /yr = $4750 /month Now, how much tax will I have to pay per month ? And I saw somewhere that there will be difference in first and later paychecks, Is it true ? Should I ask my employer to deduct the tax OR I...

F1+OPT - applicable taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and just graduated from college and am on F1 with an OPT now. I work for a company in California paying me 55k annually and I am likely to make another 8k-10k on overtime. I know that I do not need to pay medicare and social security while on F1. What are the other deductions...

View more questions Search