Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fambric Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Replacing old Sears (70's) tstat, 3 light indicator System Guardian? What's that for?
    I replaced a 4 wire Sears mercury thermostat with a new honeywell... No problem 4 wire to 4 wire. All works fine. The question I have involves the "system guardian" that is located just above the thermostat. It consists of 4 wires going to three indicator lights A/Auto Rest, B Manual Reset, C Manual Reset. Have no idea what to do with this. Want to get rid of it because it is ugly and does not seem to perform any useful function. Don't know what this monitors. If I get rid of it will it cause a problem? How to terminate it?

Thanks
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 09:53 PM
    Do the indicators ever light up? If not, it may already be disconnected. Dismount from wall so you can see the wires, then check near furnace for same type.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 09:59 PM

Could it be for an Alarm system?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fambric View Post
    Have no idea what to do with this. Want to get rid of it because it is ugly and does not seem to perform any useful function. How to terminate it?

Thanks
    Why does this remind me of my ex?
    Jbam4d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
    I have the same thing in my place, looking to get rid of it. Did you find any more information? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fambric View Post
    I replaced a 4 wire Sears mercury thermostat with a new honeywell... No problem 4 wire to 4 wire. All works fine. The question I have involves the "system guardian" that is located just above the thermostat. It consists of 4 wires going to three indicator lights A/Auto Rest, B Manual Reset, C Manual Reset. Have no idea what to do with this. Want to get rid of it because it is ugly and does not seem to perform any useful function. Don't know what this monitors. If I get rid of it will it cause a problem? How to terminate it?

Thanks
    jeanc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Hello Fambric and Jbam4d,

I have the same problem... my old sears "70's" system guardian stat needs to be replaced also, but I just need to know this:

You said you already replaced it , but which brand name and model # you replaced it with again?

I need to replace mine also.

Thanks
    jeanc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the menaing of indicator light in '94 Toyota? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 94 Toyota Marino. There is an indicator that is on the fuel side. It is orange and is a car with 3 lines coming out of both sides of the rear corners, like where the lights are. What is it for/ the meaning of it?

Goodman- solid red indicator light [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, first I should tell you I was having a 3 blinking light code and my heater was not running which I NOW repaired, I pitched the exhaust flute lower coming out from the inducer motor Put a 90 degree elbow on the outside of my home because rain water was chocking my...

Robet shaw tstat 9620 replacing with a new model [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Robert Shaw 9620 7 day Programmable digital thermostat 2 heat/2 cool heat pump . We have a Goodman heat pump I want to know how to hook up this thermostat to my 7wires coming in, the 7 wires are as follows yellow blue red green white brown orange. I need to know where all these wires go to...

Heat pump compressor won't go off and red light on tstat comes on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a comfortmaker climate control heat pump/electric furnace. The compressor, (I think) the unit outside, doesn't seem to want to shut off and since it runs continuously even when the furnace backup (fan) turns off. I think because of this, it makes a red light on the tstat come on and it...

View more questions Search