Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixitup Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
    1994 Kenmore washer will agitate but not spin
    Model #110.28922791
    Does not spin/drain. Motor ohms OK, capacitor ohms OK. Also checked with capacitance meter & it meas OK. Tried several speed settings and different spin cycles on timer knob. Same results. Removed motor. Will spin in agitate direction but not spin direction. Motor hums. Lid and start switch ohm OK. Ohmed all switch positions on speed knob and OK. Any other suggestions? Bad timer? What would I measure to verify a bad timer? I can't read the timer chart inside the top of the washer. It is blurry. I have removed the motor from the washer and it will spin and continue to spin in the spin direction if I turn the shaft fast enough to start the motor spinning but it will not spin and only hum otherwise. Any suggestions or references to get the timer chart online?

Thanks,
    fixitup
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 09:59 AM
    It is probably the capacitor OR the motor. Capacitirs need to be tested with a real capacitor for testing purposes and the motor might OHM out but is the end switch good?

Jan 10, 2009, 12:03 PM
    I ohmed the end switch and it is also o.k. I also put the motor and capacitor in another washing machine and it worked normally in the other machine.

Jan 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
    I ohmed the end switch and it is also o.k. I also put the motor and capacitor in another washing machine and it worked normally in the other machine.

Heck just leave the motor in the other washing machine and use that one. Problem solved.

Jan 10, 2009, 06:51 PM
    I wish it were that simple. The other machine is not mine.

Jan 10, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Really looking for these answers from my original post:

Any other suggestions? Bad timer? What would I measure to verify a bad timer?

I can't read the timer chart inside the top of the washer. It is blurry.

Any suggestions or references to get the timer chart online?

Jan 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
    The timer chart that I have cannot be read either. For some reason or another the motor is not reversing and the timer controls that. Sorry but I have no other info.
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 11, 2009, 08:40 AM

Jan 15, 2009, 12:12 AM
    I set the timer to spin and then removed it. I pulled the covers from the timer and looked for contacts that were currently made. I ohmed each one out and found one that was not showing continuity. I cleaned it and all contacts from both sides of the timer using sandpaper. When I reassembled it, the motor now spins in both directions. Problem solved.:)

Jan 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Glad you got it going

Jan 15, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Thanks! I learned a lot about washing machines. I am an electronic tech and work on high tech cleanroom semiconductor wafer processing equipment. Laser alignments, robotics, etc. This was just like at work. A little frustrating trying to find the information you need but if you systematically break it down, you eventually get to the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite washer won't spin or agitate [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 5 year olf Kenmore elite washer that does not spin/agitate or pump water. Took the shell off, pump off, motor off. I left the motor connected to the wiring, tried to spin/agitate, but get no motion on motor, just a buzzing noise. Seems like the motor is bad? Is there any way to test this,...

Kenmore Elite Washer does not spin or agitate [ 3 Answers ]

Model 417.42142100. Front loading machine. Does not spin or agitate, drum will not operate. Everything else seems to work. Fills, drains, makes noise like it's working during all cycles.

Sears kenmore washer will not agitate or spin [ 1 Answers ]

My sears kenmore washer moder 110.24422300 drains but will not agitate or spin I hear a noise while in that mode please help me

Kenmore Elite washer won't spin\agitate\drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 110.20072992 that won't spin, agitate, or drain. I have walked through the diagnostic mode and get no activity except for getting water into the tub. I have scanned forums and run across possible solutions (coupling, controller board) but those are solutions for partial symptoms. I...

View more questions Search