Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimcblueyes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 11:03 AM
    Is it time to put my dog down?
    :confused: My min pin is now 11yrs old. We love him dearly but he has been unable to walk much and not even long enough to go to the bathroom. I had him checked by a vet a while ago who said his knees in his back legs give out and there is nothing they can do and he has a pinched nerve in his neck that also effects his front legs. He is starting to go blind but he still eats his food and drinks his water. I don't want him to suffer. The vet tried steroids but they did not work and now he has gotten worse. Does this mean its time for him to be put down. Even thought I don't want to I also don't want him to suffer either. I want to make the right decision and due to his age its not likley he will get better either. Do you think its time to put him down especially do to his age?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Jan 9, 2009, 11:11 AM

Did the vet say he's suffering? Can they give him medication to ease whatever pain he is in? If so, and he's not suffering I would let nature take it's course.

I had a dog who had cancer and eventually made the decision to put him down; had the vet come to the house instead of taking him to a cold unfamiliar office. It was the most difficult decision of my life, but my dog was suffering with no chance at survival.

Your dog is just old, and old is a part of life; let him experience it unless he is in obvious distress constantly and that distress cannot be alleviated. If he's still drinking and eating he has the will to live and I imagine that he gets some pleasure from eating as well. Many older dogs aren't active for most of the day anyway, but still enjoy their meal and then go back to sleep. Life is precious, let him enjoy it for as long as he can.

As for walking, you can carry him to do his peeing, etc. or get a low cart/bed where you can wheel him to wherever he wants to go. You can make the adjustments he can't.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 9, 2009, 01:57 PM

One thing you need to think about that is important. Aside from the obvous, is your dog happy? Is he still having a good quality of life? He obviously can't go out and run around and play anymore. It sounds like he is basically living a mere existence, and is likely just eating, drinking, and sleeping... and possibly in a lot of pain. He can't be happy if he is just existing.

Far be it from me to EVER tell anyone when to put their beloved family member to sleep, but you really have to think. Are you keeping him alive for his well being and happiness,or for yours?

If the vet can give him something to make him comfortable and pain free for a little while longer, well it's up to you from there. But you really have to give some serious thought to the quality of life, not just the quantity. I'm sure he gave you many years of unconditional love and was always so happy to see you, but you have to know when it is time to let go.

I'll post a website where some people have been in your shoes. I hope it helps you some.

I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. :( Just think of him jumping through the fields in doggie heaven and playing with the other dogs like he was a little puppy again and pain free! Bless you, and I hope whatever decision you make is the right one for both your dog and your family.

How to Decide When to Put Your Dog to Sleep?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 02:17 PM

Starby, had to spread the rep, but I agree.

Only you can know when the time is right, and it's the hardest decision you'll ever make, even if the choice is obvious.

It's so sad that an animal can't tell us, "hey, I'm suffering, I don't want to go on", it would be easier if they could. You know your dog, is he just existing, or does he have a quality life?

Dogs are remarkable, many of them will fight to stay alive just for us, because they instinctively know that their death will cause us pain. My poodle Silver lived until he was 18 years old, the last year of his life was horrible, but we truly thought that he wouldn't continue to fight if he didn't want to live. It took his eyeballs draining out of his head for us to realize that he was only living for us, and that he was in tremendous pain. We caused him a year of suffering because we refused to see the truth. I still regret that.

I know it's a hard decision, but you'll decide what's right for you and for you beloved dog. It won't be easy, making that choice never is, but, no matter what, never regret either choice you make, if you're doing it out of love then it's the right one.

I'm sorry that you're going through this, and I wish you all the best. :)
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2009, 03:01 AM

Your dog could live for many more years with her condition. How serious is it?
    It is like arthritis in a human--only humans often have surgery, and they "live with it". If the vet could alleviate her pain it would make her more comfortable.
    I wonder how you know when she needs to go to the toilet. Do you assist her?
    I also know that you can give her certain types of therapy, like massage and heat.
    When your dog can no longer move to even have a bowel movement, that's a signal. When the dog won't eat or drink, that's a signal. If you touch her and she yelps in pain, that's a signal.
    Just know "when", and please don't keep her alive for selfish reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

ATTN: excon Prison time vs. Jail time [ 3 Answers ]

I do not know how to use this system very well and hope that you are getting my replies to your answers to my questions... if not... this is my way of saying thank you with all sincerity... Can you tell me any more about jail time... vs... prison time... I hear that prison time is actually shorter...

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Part Time / Full Time / Non - Resident - need clarification on this [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on L1 Visa on 20th October, 2007. I am trying to file the tax return through File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT. There is a question : "Whether you are a part time resident / Full Time Resident or Non-Resident". I am not sure...

View more questions Search