Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saseavoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Ceiling Fan Help!
    I just purchased a new 44" ceiling fan to replace my old 20" broken one. I've taken the old one off the ceiling and there is a metal box w/ 2 "female" parts for screws. My instructions say to screw the 2-3" wood screws into the ceiling. I don't have any so what I did was took some good screws that were bigger and long and screwed them into the " wood screws into the ceiling. I don't have any so what I did was took some good screws that were bigger and long and screwed them into the " parts on the box. It seems tight enough and strong enough to hold the fan. The part that I'm having problems with, is I'm supposed to connect black to black, white to white etc... However in the ceiling the wires that come out are white, brown and blue... So what do I connect to what?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 06:05 PM
    How was the old fan connected? Did it use all three wires? My guess is white-white, blue-blue, black-brown, but your wires could be different. How many switches controlled the old fan and what did they control?

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Jul 24, 2006, 06:21 PM
    I had a hard time getting the old one off the wall so I ended up cutting the wires. (uh oh). :eek: I lied last time and the one is black and not brown. I see that the whites were connected to each other and it appears that the blacks were also, but I can't figure out where the blue was connected. This old fan never worked and the pull chains were gone so I'd take the bottom off it to see if there was a place that I could connect the chains and the wires were just a mess!! It was like they'd disconnected them to shut the fan off...

Coming out of the ceiling are the ground, solid black, solid white and a light blue. The fan has a ground, solid black, solid white and a black/white combo.

The only difference besides the new fan being bigger, is that it also has a light where as the old one did not.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 06:29 PM
    It sounds like it should he wired thusly:

White-white, black-black, blue-striped. However if that doesn't work we might want to get a voltage tester and check the wires in the ceiling.

Jul 24, 2006, 06:35 PM
    On your last link, the directions say if there's a striped wire to attach that to the black hot wire as well as the black wire from the fan... Are you sure I shouldnt' just cap off the blue wire? Although I guess I can try it and if it doesn't work, try again! :)
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 06:43 PM
    That's another way to do it. It depends on whether your ceiling has separate wires for the light and fan. Without knowing specifically what the blue wire is for.. . Try it both ways! If it didn't work the first way, I was going to tell you to try it the second.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I was looking for a leak in my attic and accidentally stepped off the beams. I cracked the sheet rock( I don't even know if that's how you spell it) anyway it didn't crack completely in have just enough to look bad. The crack is about 3 feet long. I was wondering if I could fix it by sanding it...

I need help with this ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house, and all the rooms have ceiling fans with light features on them... but the one in our masterbedroom, the people that lived here in the house before didn't put the light feature on it but I have its sitting here in the box and there's no instruction the people that...

Ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought a hugger fan, but I am not sure if the box I have in the ceiling will hold it (Its just the box screwed into some plasterboard). What kind of support do I need to provide for the fan?

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

View more questions Search