Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rednmi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Whirlpool agitator issues
    I have a Whirlpool Imperial II Super capacity 8 cycle washer. It's really frustrating because it won't agitate the clothes properly.

The tub moves and the bottom of the agitator moves but the top portion on if won't. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get. I have teenage boys and laundromats aren't cheap!
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 9, 2009, 09:17 AM

Hold the top of the agitator and try to turn it in both directions. If it turns in both directions, you probably need new agitator dogs. There are four of them between the two sections of the agitator. Cost? About $10.00
    rednmi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 09:34 AM

PokeFan THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Yes it does turn in both directions. These agitator dogs can I get them at an appliance part store? Maybe Sears repair? Also are they easy to replace or should I call a repair person to do it for me?

I'm not completely appliance illiterate.. LOL I know my way around a few tools, but if it's something that I have to take apart the whole housing I'm not sure my luck would hold out for that kind of procedure.
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 10, 2009, 08:43 AM

You should be able to purchase the agitator dogs at any store that sells whirlpool or sears appliance parts.

The job is not to difficult. It requires removing and separating the agitator. The only tool you need is a 7/16" socket and a long extension.

1. Remove the softener dispenser from the top of the agitator.
    2. Reach down inside the agitator and pull out the plastic cap. Try not to break the O-ring.
    3. Remove the 7/16" hex head bolt.
    4. Reach down in side the washer and grasp the bottom of the agitaor with both hands and pull up. It should come out without too much trouble.
    5. Place the agitator on the floor. Put you feet on either side of the bottom of the agitator. Grasp the top section of the agitator with both hands and pull up sharply, to separate the two halves of the agitator.
    6. The agitator dogs should be visible in the top of the bottom half of the agitator.
    If you need more help e-mail.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Jan 10, 2009, 05:23 PM

Hint: it's easier to get the two agitator pieces back together (with new dogs installed) if you hold them sideways with one hand inside the bottom part to keep the parts tight. Otherwise the dogs may come out of their grooves.
    Slide everything together carefully and check to make sure they are all in correctly. They will still move freely. When you have the two agitator pieces together, you can turn the top agitator and notice that it will not go "backwards".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer agitator won't turn [ 1 Answers ]

My washer started making some weird noise for a few washes ago and now won't agitate or spin. I turned it over and found ground up rubber on the floor and part of a rubber part with a hole in the middle that looks like it was between the motor and the part that turns the agitator and basket...

View more questions Search