Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zyang Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Fixing crack on inside wall
    There is a 2 feet long paint-cracking on the wall along stairs down to basement. Should I just paint again to cover the crack? Or chang board? Or some approach better?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 06:12 PM

Please define Change board is there a board there?
    This 2 foot long paint cracking Is that a crack 2 foot long? Or is it a 2 foot area of paint cracking and that's where the Board come in
    Better info please
    tsewell1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 06:22 PM
    Is it dry wall?
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Jan 12, 2009, 04:43 AM

Hello to another central Ohioan.

Is it just a thin straight line crack. If so it's probably just a settlement crack in a drywall joint. You may have to redo the tape and mud in that area. If you just paint it it will likely reappear.

You could try filing it with painters caulk and then painting it - see if it comes back and deal with it then if it does.
    zyang Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
    Hello to another central Ohioan.

Is it just a thin straight line crack. If so it's probably just a settlement crack in a drywall joint. You may have to redo the tape and mud in that area. If you just paint it it will likely reappear.

You could try filing it with painters caulk and then painting it - see if it comes back and deal with it then if it does.
    It is a 2-feet long crack on the dry wall along stairs down to basement.
    I will try "filing with painters caulk and then painting".
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:35 PM

Hello Zyang I messed with too many cracks and don't be surprised if this comes back if it does or it's a bit wide I would maybe do what Rivethead suggested. I constantly fight these cracks on our job sites in my towns old plaster walls and once in awhile in newer homes settling. Heat and the cold change in weather can bring this along to . It's a crap shoot at best. On that note check your stairs stronger support and see if that is putting and stress on the side wall I don't know if there's a landing and its in that corner or what. But like I said I would lean towards Rivethead suggestion especially if its in a corner.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2009, 12:57 PM

I wouldt use painters caulk... I would lightly scrape the crack with the edge of a putty knife, and then scrape the rough edges... Push on the walls beside the crack and if its flexing easily, you could maybe put a few drywall screws into the closest studs next to the crack to suck the wall tighter. I would then use a product called "Shurpatch or lightweigh NON-shrinking compund" pack it in the crack, wipe excess off, let dry and then repeat with normal drywall compound... Sand the paint... might not ever come back this way...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement wall crack [ 2 Answers ]

We have a crack in the basement wall at the gas meter location. And water is getting through to the laundry room. I called a contractor he priced the repairs for 1200$ just for the one crack and said epoxy is no longer used. Can you let me know what needs to be done and if 1200$ is the right...

Crack in basement wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have a crack in my basement wall and water is visible leaking through from the outside. I want to know the proper procedure to fix this myself. What type of sealant do you recommend. I do believe you have to v out the crack before you plug it. Is this correct.

Crack in wall sheetrock [ 5 Answers ]

We have a conventional foundation in a house built in 2001. There is now a 12-18 inch crack in the sheetrock ( very small, not deep) that goes from the top of a window sill at a 90 degree angle toward the ceiling. The outside of the house shows no cracks. Should I be concerned? Thanks a bunch for...

Toilet bowl inside small hole/crack repair? [ 2 Answers ]

Something must have fallen into the toilet bowl - there is a very small crack/hole that doesn't seem to be letting water out as the water level stays the same - but - I really want to put something over it to seal it. Is there an epoxy or sealant I can use to seal this - I rent the apartment and...

Fixing an elbow on a pipe against an outside wall? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leak on an outside pipe coming from the 90 degree elbow bend (I think). I have wrapped it in that hardening tape, but it still leaks (much less now). I would like to fix the leak completely, but here are my problems. The pipe is right up against a wall, so getting around it is pretty...

View more questions Search