Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randyshoe Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Jul 24, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Mystery bug?
    This bug/bird/insect has been flying around our butterfly bushes for the past few weeks. Any ideas on what it could be. We are stumped because it appears to be a hummingbird/butterfly type specie but up close it looks like a lobster! We would love some insight. :confused:
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 02:03 PM
    That shape is classic hummingbird. See scads of them here.

If it was "hovering" like a hummingbird does, then I'd bet a dollar to a donut that it is one.

What city do you live in or near? That would help narrow down exactly what it is.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 24, 2006, 02:16 PM
    I can't really tell -- the photo is not so sharp, but it might be a clearwing moth that has the means of drinking nectar like a hummingbird? Just a thought. Moths can grow to the size of small birds too. Are there any apparent legs on it and if so how many?

Jul 24, 2006, 02:16 PM
    We live in Rhode Island. We weren't sure if it was a hummingbird because it appears to have 6-8 legs! We have yet to find another hummingbird like this in our searches! Thanks. :)

Jul 24, 2006, 02:18 PM
    It IS a clear winged moth!! We found the exact match on Yahoo images! Thanks.

Jul 24, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Makes me very happy to realise that all the really irrelevant stuff I know isn't totally without benefit here LOL... YIPPEE!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 24, 2006, 10:06 PM
    It is indeed a Hummingbird Clearwing Moth. Specifically a male. I live in CT, close to the RI border, and they are indeed common, given the right plant. Here is the female from my own photographic work.
    The plant this one is on, Bee Balm, is a particular favorite, where they congregate in great numbers during full bloom.
    Great job in capturing it! Certainly one of the hardest things I've ever photographed myself. :)
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 02:51 AM
    That's a gorgeous shot of an awesome moth. If it were me I'd be planting more of whatever they love most to attract more of them. Too cool.

Jul 25, 2006, 03:36 AM
    Spectacular Thomas!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 25, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Hi Rick and Val,
    Thanks. :) I wish I had the property for a proper garden down here. Up at my last place in MA, I had a fairly extensive garden that included bee balm, though curiously I never saw a single one. That photo was taken at a local Audubon preserve, something of my second home down here.
    Thanks again. :)
    georgekidder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 06:52 AM
    We took photo of same (Hummingbird Moth) in our front yard - June 12, 2008 - in New Port Richey - Florida

http://www.geocities.com/g_kidder/gen/100B1073.JPG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mystery movie! [ 1 Answers ]

This will probably be difficult to understand but I will do my best to explain good. There was a movie I used to watch when I was little. Its animated and I think it takes place on a mountain or in the winter cause there is snow... so there's a race going on, and the only character I remember is a...

An Intruiging Mystery [ 5 Answers ]

My dorm room, as of late has been a bit crowded with some six legged visitors. I did not manage to snag a picture, but after thoroughly searching the internet, I am still in the dark as to the name of our new friends. They are about 2.5 cm long. It looks as if they have some sort of wing structure,...

Ceiling Fan Mystery [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a hand held remote. After living in this home for approx. 3 years, the fan started coming on by itself. Sometimes the light would also come on and other times the light or fan would come on by itself. We first thought the batteries in the remote might be low...

Mystery pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have sort of plastic pipe sticking out of the ground next to the back of the house: http://www.bainite.org/images/thingy.jpg It 4" wide and sticks about 6" out of the ground. For visual reference, the black hose next to it is a soaker hose. Does anyone know what this is? We...

Religious Mystery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a movie with the following actors: Robert Di Niro, Robert Divall, Charles Durney. It was a Catholic theme movie that had mystery and complications. I think the movie was made around 1980. I can't seem to remember the title though.? Please reply asap if you have any info that...

View more questions Search