Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ToddP Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Hot Ground/ Reverse
    I have been struggling with an electrical problem for a while now:

I spliced into an electrical line in the basement to create an outlet. I wired everything perfect using experience and a home depot manual.

I kept getting a hot/ground reverse after purchasing several testers.

Then it would work great and then it would not. I finally figured out it was on the same circuit as several other fixtures.

I figured what I thought to be the culprit was our light out front... when the outlet I put in was working the light was not. I tested the light and it read Hot Neutral reverse.

I took apart the light pole and completely rewired it and it no longer had any problems. I went back to the outlet in the basement and it is still HOT / Ground Reverse??

It only has this problem when the power to the out front light is turned off... it works fine when it is turned on?

Sorry for the long post but I figured with more details someone could help me?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 03:18 PM
    The best advice I can offer is to follow this circuit back to the panel and start over from there. Trace and open each box, outlet, light, switch, etc. looking for the hot (black) and ground reversed.

Test each location , and make changes as necessary as you go out further on the circuit. Somewhere you should find a problem and all should be fine beyond that point.

Jul 24, 2006, 06:50 PM
    When you say ground are you taliking about neutral? Do you think it coould be a neutral not connected somewhere? Should I check the connection to the box?

Thanks for the help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
    No I mean the ground, since you state the tester indicates reversed Hot & Ground. No I don't think something is not connected at all,I think someplace the wiring is reversed, or touching .

Yes start at the circuit breaker or fuse panel, and check each point of connection on the circuit until you find a problem.

Jul 25, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Thanks TK, I will give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Jul 25, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Found out the wire I spliced into was a direct line from a light switch to outside light. They basically had 2 hot wires going to the light, hot and neutral. I fixed it but now when I turn off the switch upstairs the outlet goes out? I probably need to find another source.
    Thanks again for the help TK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

Ceiling Fan in Reverse [ 3 Answers ]

I searched and I see that this was brought up some time ago, but the solutions offered have not worked for me. I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a remote wall switch. The fan will no longer "reverse" and it is going in the wrong direction. I have tried to switch on and off with the fan...

Hampton Bay Reverse Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay 42" ceiling fan that has a malfunctioning reverse switch. The original reverse switch is a six contact four wire switch (red, blue, black and white) that has two contacts jumpered out (blue and white). I could not find an exact replacement switch but I can find a six...

Reverse Button [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed the remote control for my Hampton Bay fan. Everything works (lights, dimmer, fan, fan speed) but the reverse button. I lost the instructions. Does anyone know how to activate the "reverse button"?

Hot/Ground reverse on GFI receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

My screened porch has a ceiling fan w/light and a 2nd light fixture, both running off an outside GFI receptacle. In short, I ran wire from the GFI receptacle to a double switch box; one switch is wired to the fan fixture, the other switch is wired to the light fixture. All has been working fine for...

View more questions Search