Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Makalasplace Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
    My Dog Recently Started to Eat His Poop
    I have a 1 1/2 year old Golden Retriever. I got him 3 months ago from the Humane Society. He is a chewer so I provide him with lots of rawhides and toys. The toys (including the Kongs he finds a way to chew up and destroy). All of this I take in stride, but recently he started to eat his poop. We live in a cold climate so it freezes. He never ate it before it when it was soft. I now try to pick up after him as soon as he does his thing but can't always follow him around the yard. How can I break this habbit and will he grow out of the contant chewing?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 8, 2009, 07:16 PM

The issue here is that the chewing is a symptom of a bigger problem. The chewing and eating poop could possibly be a result of separation anxiety, boredom, or quite likely on the top of the list, lack of exercise! You really shouldn't give him an array of chew toys. He should only have a few that he gets used to. If he is totally destroying Kongs, they are out! He could be swallowing pieces of it, and you will have bigger problems!

Concerning eating his own poop. This is called coprophagia. He could be doing this for several reasons, but this combined with the chewing would again indicate boredom and lack of exersise. It could also be a vitamin/mineral deficiency, but in this instance I would go with the first instance. This is also common with separation anxiety.

The best thing you can do with him to stop this behaviour at this point is to get him out for more exersise. I know it's cold! I'm in Canada! But get him out for shorter periods then. Do you have a treadmill? If you do, you can train him to walk on there to release his excess energy! It might be a little hard to get him on at first, but it's totally do-able!

If you want a quick fix in the meantime... and I DO mean the meantime, you can put hot sauce or something unpleasant to him on the things he has been chewing, and use a sharp firm, but calm (no anger) command, and a firm "bite" with your hand, to redirect his attention.

Good luck! :)

He will NOT simply grow out of this. This sounds like a nervous/obsessive behaviour to me. He needs training.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jan 8, 2009, 08:46 PM

There are products available to help with this. Forbid and Deter are two that I know of. When added to their food, these products can actually give the poop a less appetizing taste, and can really help! Labman has often recommended adding pineapple to their food which can have the same results. I actually know of several dogs who have outgrown it. It sounds like your dog might just be looking for a frozen treat! Maybe you can prepare some other type, which is healthier and less offensive to you.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 08:48 PM

My dog used to do this the first week I got her. I put pineapple juice in her food. Just a quick splash over her food. She tried to eat her poop after that, and immediately threw it back up.

... problem fixed for me.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jan 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
    Have you tried the BLACK kong? It is very tough and meant for the heaviest chewers. I had to get mine online, didn't have black at my pet store. By the way, freezing some peanut butter in the kong might satisfy several "needs". :)
    candycare26 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 10:46 PM

Your dog needs more fiber I know that I watch a show about what your dog they he needs more fiber
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 8, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by candycare26 View Post
    your dog needs more fiber i know that i watch a show about what your dog they he needs more fiber
    How is this going to stop him from chewing and eating his poop may I ask? Sounds like her dog is pooping just fine to me! I don't know what this answer has got to do with the qjuestion?
    Gothic-Joshy990 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2009, 10:57 PM

My dog does that too but they get into the litterbox what we do is when we catch them doing it he tap there nose not so hard but not so light
    Briani Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2009, 10:36 AM

I've heard that some dogs eat their own poo because there may be undigested food remaining. This can be caused by your dog inhaling his food at meal time. Does your dog eat slow or fast? If he's satting too quickly, try slowing him down. There are products you can purchase which force the dog to slow down because of obstructions in his bowl. Others have simply put a couple of rocks in with the food. Obviously rocks which are too large for him to swallow. One other possibility, consider switching dog foods. I would speak to your vet for further information if problem persists.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2009, 02:34 AM

A dog will eat it's own feces for a number of reasons. One may be intestinal parasites, which will cause a nutritional defeciency in the animal. Check his poop.
    The other is a poor quality food. If there is TOO MUCH fiber and filler in the food the animal can't get the nutrients it needs before the food passes through it's system.
    In both cases, the dog is trying to make up for the defenciency by eating feces, which contain undigested food (nutrients).
    Dogs were meant to eat a substantial amount of protein. You could mix some canned food with the dry stuff and throw in some vegetables. You could also buy some vitamins for dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Yorkie recently started peeing in her crate [ 2 Answers ]

Please help! My year old Yorkie has started peeing in her kennel. This started about 2 months ago. She is a fun loving dog, very well trained in all other areas except for this. She has been house broken for some time now, in the past 2 months I come home from work and Malibu and her crate reek of...

Two year old beagle just started to poop in her crate. [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old beagle has been crate trained since we adopted her at six months old. She recently started to poop in her crate! She has never seemed to mind being in her crate. When I let her in during the day that is where she goes and she will just lay in there with the door open. At night we...

Recently Disabled [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to turn 43 and recently became disabled.I am now collecting workers comp and social security.I am no longer able to contribute to my 401k because I am no longer employed but would like to keep investing.Can I roll my 401k into an IRA or do I have to be employed to contribute to an IRA ?...

Have started a new job recently... everyone so cold! [ 5 Answers ]

HI everyone, I need some advice, I recently have started a job (sales in a smaller ISP) and just to give you a little insight of the company... my boss, also the owner of the company, is my uncle (also my mom's brother, she passed away when I was 12) his wife (my aunt) is the accountant, and there...

Recently disabled [ 4 Answers ]

I don't work anymore but still have a 401K @ my last job, Will a disable person still be taxed, if so what would be the best thing for me to do with my 401K. Thanks for your help. Bobbie

View more questions Search