Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Riddle me that.
    A wealthy man with a blind butler has overslept and is rushing to get ready for work. All of his socks (10 pair black, 10 pair white) are downstairs in the dryer. He summons his butler and tells him to get a pair of socks, either black or white. What is the fewest number of socks the butler must bring to assure he has a matching pair?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    A wealthy man with a blind butler has overslept and is rushing to get ready for work. All of his socks (10 pair black, 10 pair white) are downstairs in the dryer. He summons his butler and tells him to get a pair of socks, either black or white. What is the fewest number of socks the butler must bring to assure he has a matching pair?

The minimum would be 2. The maximum would be 3. You are not seeking a specific color matched pair so the butler would pull out one sock. It be either black or white.

The second sock could be black or white - if it matches the first, that's 2 socks.

If it does not match the third sock (either black or white) will match ONE of the first two - that's 3 socks.

?
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 05:59 PM
    The correct answer is 3. Possible scenarios: 1 white/2 black, 1 black/2 white, 3 white, 3 black. A matching pair is assured with each scenario.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    The correct answer is 3. Possible scenarios: 1 white/2 black, 1 black/2 white, 3 white, 3 black. A matching pair is assured with each scenario.

I don't understand the answer of 3 - why isn't it possible that the butler would pull out two of the same color on the first two tries? I think you are overlooking that possibility and assuming that the first two socks out of the drawer will be different colors.

Why the assumption that the first two will be different colors and not the same color?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't understand the answer of 3 - why isn't it possible that the butler would pull out two of the same color on the first two tries? I think you are overlooking that possibility and assuming that the first two socks out of the drawer will be different colors.

Why the assumption that the first two will be different colors and not the same color?
    He's looking for the minimum number to assure a matching pair. The answer is 3.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post

OK, got it.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 08:04 AM

... I'm kind of hoping the butler grabs one sock and a wooden spoon...
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    ...I'm kinda hoping the butler grabs one sock and a wooden spoon...

I figure the butler will show up with two socks, maybe matching, maybe not - the blind guy can't tell anyway and everyone will be too polite to mention it.

So - I'm back to an answer of two.
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riddle me this. Someone has to know this one! [ 36 Answers ]

Okay --- I have been bet that I cannot find the answer to this riddle... I need you all's help! Here it goes: WHAT IS ALWAYS TALKING WITH NOTHING TOSAY,SILVER AND ROUND ON BOTH ENDS,AND YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT?? My first guess was -- battery --- eh, I was wrong... ...

Riddle me this. [ 2 Answers ]

A boat is moored to a pier with a ladder hanging over the side and into the water. The rungs on the ladder are spaced 12 inches apart, and 4 rungs are visible above the waterline. It is 3:30 PM and the tide is rising at a rate of 5 inches per hour. How many rungs will be visible at 10:15 PM?

I've got a riddle for you. [ 22 Answers ]

Einstein's Riddle: Einstein has been widely credited online with the following riddle, and with the claim that 98% of the world could not solve it. But several of our NIEHS scientists were able to solve it, and they said it is not all that hard if you pay attention and are very patient. Give it a...

The riddle [ 6 Answers ]

A well known fashion designer, wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, decided to spend a few days at a rural resort. After a day relaxing, she went for a winter stroll to get some fresh air. That was the last time anyone saw her alive. The autopsy revealed that her death was due to...

Riddle me this [ 1 Answers ]

I am the sum of all my parts, yet equal to none of them. The answer has two words and this is a number riddle

View more questions Search