Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannonbug Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Jan 8, 2009, 02:57 PM
    What can I do for my sister?
    My sister is on cocain and I am not sure what u can do to help any ideas?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 03:16 PM

What have you tried so far? How long has she been addicted?

Jan 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    What have you tried so far? How long has she been addicted?
    I have tried just talking to her but she never listens witch doesn't surprise me and it has ben about 2 years now
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 12:24 AM

They've got to want to change to be able to change. Have other family members tried talking to her? Has she been to counseling? Have you considered an intervention?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 12:31 AM

I know how you feel. My best friend from school is on hard drugs. We went to separate Universities and sh** hit the fan with him.

I've tried talking to him but like ChihuahuaMomma says he/she has got to want to change. If not your spitting in the wind. I've recently discussed this issue with his mother (we're close) and she is organizing a counseling session. (Not an intervention yet, it's not that bad)

I agree with momma, they've got to want to change, get as many people who love them to put in their 2 cents, and love them no matter.

Hope This is any help!
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2009, 09:05 AM

The thing about addiction is.. you are trying to reason with someone who is doing something unreasonable.. their brain is altered. That's why drunks drive while intoxicated.. because the reasoning is gone.. Does that make sense? There is no talking to them.. if it has been 2 years... she needs to see a conselor.. get sober first.. and then she will be able to see things clearly. Good Luck
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 13, 2009, 09:09 AM

My father was addicted to crack for a very long time, I told him I would not have anymore communication with him till he was clean, it was hard and it took him a while but eventually he realized he had no family left and he went and got himself clean, you need to give her a reason to quit, you can't keep being there for her all the time its hard but maybe once she realizes she's got nothing let she might make a change in her life
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2009, 09:13 AM

Star is correct... she will not quit until she has no choice.. everyone must give her an ultimatum.. and stick with it. Do not take her calls or give her money.. etc. If she has nothing to lose.. why would she give up the drug?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jan 13, 2009, 12:10 PM

Everyone is right..

There really are only 2 things that can be done, give her an ultimatum.. either it's the drugs or her family. And STICK TO IT!

And the second is for you to go get help. You have been affected by an addict and you need to help yourself at this point.

She will do what she wants to do, and there really isn't anyway that you can force her.. you can't drag her to rehab and lock her in, she has to be willing.

Get help for yourself. You can go to al-anon it's a support group for people who have been affected by an alcoholic, but you can still go, an addict is still an addict.. whether it was alcohol or drugs
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 12:14 PM

It is very painful when someone you love has an addiction.

It is not something that they have the ability to control until they want to control it, sometimes that takes a lot. They have to hit their rock bottom and sometimes it is difficult to know what that is.

My mother has been addicted to MANY things, just about everything you can think of over the last 15 years. We have isolated her, she has lost her home, her nursing license, every job, and she will still convince herself that she can just use one time and stop. Sometimes it is an ungoing cycle that you need to step away from for your own health and well-being.

Jan 18, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    It is very painful when someone you love has an addiction.

It is not something that they have the ability to control until they want to control it, sometimes that takes alot. They have to hit their rock bottom and sometimes it is difficult to know what that is.

My mother has been addicted to MANY things, just about everything you can think of over the last 15 years. We have isolated her, she has lost her home, her nursing license, every job, and she will still convince herself that she can just use one time and stop. Sometimes it is an ungoing cycle that you need to step away from for your own health and well-being.
    see she has hit rock bottom plenty of times and I can't let her this time she is pegnent and she can barly take care of the kid she has 3 days a week because her and her x husband take turns seeing ym nephew and she barly takes care of him now that I've got my second nephew on the way I can't let her hit rock bottom I don't want her to lose her kids they are her life!
    sportschick697 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 05:28 PM

I have had a sister the same way trust me I know what you are going through it is really hard not know what could happen to her. Try to introduce her to god and pray for her. Remind her of childhood memories.You still have to make sure she knows you love her and how much you really do love her. It will really help her. :)
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 06:27 PM

Try getting in touch with a anti drug organization in your area and see if they have a alanon sort of group you can go to or speak to some one who can give you expert advice. They know the ways to perhaps help you help her see that she is in trouble
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Jan 23, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Get some help. Go tp your parnets, go the local drug and alohol recovery place and maybe they can help set up and intervention. Talk to her friends dig deep the help is there go get it. But have a plan as to what your going to tell her and about treatment. Iuse to be a coke addict also addicted to several things be prepared she will be pissed yell scream remember it's the drugs talking, drugs make you talk and look like another person. Be patient and don't let her lose you for you sound lke you may be the closest person to her,love her listen to her don't turn your back on her.Most of us addicts use because were hiding something that we just don't want to deal with so we stay high so we can't feel the pain or emotion,so be there for her and ignore any out bursts she just scared what it might be to have to deal with the horriable things from her past. One thing I learned in treatment, Secrets keep us sick..

Best of luck to you
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 12:08 PM

I know what your going through, and trying to reason with people who have a serious attiction is not easy. What you have gotten a lot of great advice on this thread, and you should gop toi an anti drug org... they might have some good advice to give you there and they might be able to help you with the practicalities with it,

Does she realize she has a problem, or is she in denial?

I've also heard this one a million times: I don't have a problem, its you who has the problem. (or everybody else has a problem) denial denial denial. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Little Sister Is Being A S*ut! What Do I Do? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay excuse my choice of words for my title but I am extremely angry at my little sister right now. She is doing things that I never thought she would ever do. I will fill you in on everything. My sister is 16 and just got out of an abusive relationship with her 19 year old boyfriend (we willl...

If your older sister dies are you now the older sister [ 1 Answers ]

The ? Is if your older sister or brother was to die does that make you the older brother or sister later on in life.

Never met my sister [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my name is Melissa I am 16 My parents had a child on October 20th 1984 and they had to give her up they named her jesse and she was given to a family in Colorado who had another adopted child as well she is 21 now

Sister [ 5 Answers ]

:-[Hi, Could someone tell me what they think about this dream? OK here go's, I was trying to get a hold of my sister by phone but she did not leave me a phone number and she moved, I then tried looking for her in my car, all of a sudden, there was a small child in the car, she wanted to learn...

View more questions Search