Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intheblack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Married spouse has friendship with single woman (who is his boss)
    They have had a phone relationship for about 6 months, I found out about 3 months ago, and finally asked that no more calls be done (approximately 3months there was around 400 calls some of them where calls made but not answered by the person they were calling). Husband was not telling wife of this found out because child noticed something odd. He says she is a good friend and nothing else. That is hard for me because when I ask what they talk about he forgets. She has called when I am with him and he may or may not answer the phone. She was in the hospital and he went and seen her, did not tell me when it happened, we got into an argument and it came out. She just broke up with her boyfriend and the calls have started again. What do I do? Is this normal?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 09:56 AM

I would say no, this isn't normal for a couple reasons.
    1. it sounds like you haven't met her. Any friends of my husband's that are women, I have either met, or talked to
    2. he feels the need to keep this relationship private.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 8, 2009, 10:12 AM

This sounds fishy...

Ask to meet her.

If he says no, for no good reason, then I may get a little more suspicious

My husband has a few female friends (mostly co-workers) I haven't met but if I asked to meet them he'd let me asap.

It's not the female friend that sounds fishy to me. It's his secretive attitude and how he seems to be sneaking around about it.
    learnintolikeme Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Jan 9, 2009, 03:21 AM
    I agree with the others this does ot sound good. Your gut feeling is telling you something.
    How long do the calls last for?
    How many calls are initiated by your husband?
    How can this affect his job if it is an emotional affair?
    Could he lose his job if the friensdship ends?
    How close is their job? She is his boss but do they work on projects that depend on each others role?
    Do the phonecalls happen in working hours or do they extend to weekends and evenings? If so then I would have warning bells ringing loud and clear.
    I can imagine that you are in a phase of your marriage where things aren't quite so exciting, maybe some small irritations and arguments are arising or communication between you has stopped, otherwise you may not have been so worried... you have to deal with these to regain his affection for you before it is too late.
    I hope things can work well for you it sounds like you care a lot for him.
    is this right Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2009, 03:41 AM
    Def agree with all the above.

If the situation betwwen him and the other lady was a straight friendship, he would WANT to introduce you.

I would remain calm, don't approach him in an aggressive manner regarding this. MAybe just say that you know she is a good friend of his, and it might be nice to therefore meet her for a drink or something similar.

You need to approach it with him, but as a man, I can tell you he will be extreamly defensive over the whole thing regardless of whether they are just friends or anything more. So approach it in calm manner, and make your offer of meeting her almost a favour to him.

Hope this helps and good luck.

T
    v1033 Posts: 44, Reputation: 3

Jan 9, 2009, 04:32 AM

I also think it is a good idea for you to ask to meet her.
    I have many more male friends than female friends so I don't necessarily think the his relationship with her is inappropriate.

Most of my male friends my husband has met, some he hasn't but if he asked to I would make sure I invited him next time we meet up.

Ask to meet her in a casual way, hopefully he will arrange it and that will put your mind at rest. If he makes excuses as to why you can't meet I would start to be suspicious. If he point blank refuses I would be very concerned!

Let us know what he says.
    phil1129 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2009, 11:26 AM

Take it someone who betrayed his own wife by having an emotional affair, then was immediately betrayed her own emotional affair with a coworker.
    If I was a betting man, I would put all my money on the fact that it is an emotional affair, at the least. With my wife, it happened while we were both in counseling over my issue.
    There is no reason for a married man to be that friendly with another woman. Especially if you have concerns about it. The fact that he works with her, sees her all the time, and still fills the need to speak to her that often is beyond suspicious.
    Google emotional affairs, print out the warning signs, and show it to him. See how he reacts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

In love with my Married boss [ 14 Answers ]

Wow, where do I begin. We have known each other for 5 years and have been extremely great friends. Not only is he married but I am close with his kids, know his wife and I work for him. Funny thing is, I never found him sexually attractive and therefore allowed myself to get close to him and...

Married guy crossed the friendship line [ 13 Answers ]

Well there is this guy I have been friends with for the last 8 months or so. I have tried to become friends with his wife also but she is resistant to get to know me. She tells her husband that she doesn't trust me (even though she doesn't know me). Well he attempted to cross the friendship...

Friendship with woman [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am 42 yr married man and having a caring wife and two lovely children.I am happy with my married life. I have a woman friend of mine. She is also married age 37yrs.we are in same profession. We like each other and care for each other.we are not in any kind of physical relationship nor...

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

View more questions Search