Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgaorbust Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 08:05 PM
    What gauge wire do I use?
    I'm wanting to run power from a 20amp breaker from my house to a small storage building 100ft away. All I want to run on this line is a fluorescent light and a small hand drill or small shop vac. What gauge wire do I use? 12 or 10ga?
    royboy74 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 08:40 PM
    10 gauge because of the long run. Voltage drop . Sometime you may be up in the shed running a skill saw and will have loss of power better to do it now and besides the cost of wire is down now.
    korbierg Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 09:12 PM
    Royboy is right.

THe little more you spend for 10ga at this distance is well worth it.

Steve
    AMPERE Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 01:09 AM
    Always consult with the national electrical code before beginning any electrical projects, because the code establishes the min. standards for supplying electricity to any structure.

First, determine the total load that will be used on this circuit. Secondly, determine the voltage drop that will occur on the conductors. You are only allowed 5% total voltage drop. Next, you must apply the 75% rule for contineous usage on this circuit(75% of 20 amps).

Voltage drop will will help you to determine what size conductors to use as well as distance. Size 10AWG is a good place to start your calculations. Determine type of cable you will use such as NM-B or UF-B. also you must use cable that can be used for the purpose you wish to accomplish, such as wet or dry location. Above all, consult with the national electrical code book to properly and safely provide electricity to your storage building. I have given you only the highlights. There is more.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 06:01 AM
    did you notice that this post was a few "years" old? Try to stay with posts less that a month old...
    (isn't continuous load taken at 125% + non-continuous load = total load? 75% appears to be incorrect)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2013, 07:44 AM
    Ampere, this question is is 4 years old.

Please refrain from answering questions older than a month or so.

Now a few corrections:

#1. 5% vD is not mandatory, only a recommended value by IEEE, for general purposes.

#2. 75% is incorrect derating value for a continuous load. 80% is the correct derating value.

#3. Be careful suggesting to laypeople to consult the National Electric Code. The NEC is difficult enough for trained qualified personel to learn and understand, laypeople will be completely confused and do possible harm by not understanding the Code.

Anyone considering having electrical work done should be consulting with a qualifed electrician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire service, wire gauge 100 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100 amp service in the backyard with a separate meter on a pole next to sub-suface power tranasformer. I have a 100 amp meter box on one side of the pole and a 100 amp braker panel with a 100 amp main breaker on the other side. I'm going to place in it a 15-20 amp breaker for gfi...

Connecting 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire [ 4 Answers ]

Is it ever acceptable to attach 14 gauge to 12 gauge wire? I have a remodel situation where I have a 20 amp/12 gauge wired circuit powering outlets only. I want to tap off the end-of-run outlet to power an electric-venting skylight. The skylight comes with 14/2 wire. Can I tap off the 20 amp...

Wire Gauge? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been looking for 2 days for an online wire gauge calculator. I'm going to relocate my meter to the side of my house (converting from overhead to underground service), then I'm going to remove the existing electrical panel (from the outside of the house) and install a breaker panel on the...

Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box. [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire. I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out...

Gauge of wire? [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for responding. I would like to know what size of wire I need to run a circuit 125 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feet away? Or, what size of wire I need to run a circuit 60 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feew away? Thank you in advance

View more questions Search