Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coyotewaits4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Converting a shower drain to a toilet drain
    How do I convert a shower drain in a basement to a toilet drain?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Hi Coyotewaits4u...

You really can't... :(

A shower drain has a 2" drain. A toilet requires a 3" drain as a minimum!

In this case, you will probably need to run pipes underground from existing toilet and pick up new toilet from there. Most likely the VENT will also be too small... 1.5" for shower and usually need 2" for toilet, but I know inspectors that will let 1.5" get by... ;)

You may also be interested in investigating the SANIFLO above floor toilet pump systems... check out www.saniflo.com

These will allow installation of toilet anywhere you want with only a 3/4" or 1" waste line to connect into main drain system... but be warned there are PLUSSES and MINUSES!!

Let us know if need more...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steps to convert basement toilet drain to shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a basement toilet drain to a shower drain. Is it a job that a do it yourselfer can do? If no- who do I hire-a plumber or a contractor? What would be a high end estimate of the cost to hire someone in New York? Also, sitting on the floor about a foot directly in front of the...

Connecting shower drain to toilet drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am just beginning to do some renos to my basement. I am installing a shower in a bathroom that currently only has just a sink and a toilet. I am trashing the toilet and sink and putting in new ones. This is a concrete basement. How do I connect the shower drain to the toilet drain? Is there...

Converting toilet closet for shower pan drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a distribution warehouse where I want to install a shower over a existing toilet drain. I was thinking of a shower pan with a off set drain directly over the toilet sewage line. Is this possible?If possible what type of connection is code and what problems may I run into. ...

Converting a toilet to a sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am converting a powder bath into a wetbar. I want to convert the toilet drain to a sink drain. Can I simply cap the toilet's 4" floor drain and insert a 2" "p"-trap into the vent stack behind it? Or is there more to it? Thanks for your help, Gino

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search