Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wicca_moon_03 Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jul 23, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Belly button piercing and scars
    OK I was wondering if id be able to get my belly button repierced under these conditions. OK first of all, I had it pierced before but it came out and closed. Now I have a dime sized lump of scar tissue wheere it was pierced. I also revently had gallbladder surgery and I have I tiney incision scar inside my belly button as well. Could anybody possibly tell me if it would be possible and/or safe to pierce through the scar tissue and if it is possible would it hurt a lot more?:confused:
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 23, 2006, 10:42 PM
    Hi Wicca Moon,
    Wow, that's quite a bit of scar tissue. Had the original piercing become infected upon removal of the jewelry? This is kind of a difficult question. Not one I'm sure I can give you a definitive answer on.
    Scar tissue is primarily composed of collagen. Collagen is fairly tough, relatively lacking in elasticity, and therefore will likely take a good bit more effort to pierce than normal skin. This is where it may become somewhat mixed...
    Given the amount of scar tissue, it is likely much of the nerve tissue within may have died off due to a relatively poor blood supply. I would suspect the pain would be a good deal less, but probably not any worse. The down side to this is, if conditions aren't absolutely sterile, and bacteria did enter the wound, the poorer vascular innervation to this collagenous mass could make fighting infection particularly difficult. I would particularly worry about forms of Streptococcus or Staphylococcus. Just make sure, if you do go through with it, it is done by a very reputable and knowledgeable studio. As well, I would make sure your gall bladder scar is completely healed.
    I do think it would be good to get a second opinion from someone else on here. Maybe you could message someone like J 9, as she is a nursing student, and very knowledgeable.
    Anyhow. Please do be careful though. Take care. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 07:26 AM
    As Thomas mentioned this kind of scar is collagenous in nature. It is called a Keloid scar. Some studios may not pierce through a keloid scar due to possible complications.

Really, this is a great question for your Mom, Stormy, since she is there and can see it. She is just as knowledgeable as me and you have her there in person.

Jul 24, 2006, 08:09 AM
    I tried asking her and she doesn't know... or maybe she does and is just being a brat.:p

Thanks... you coulnt have messaged me instead of giving me bad reputation...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 10:08 AM
    LOL, if she does not know, it is possible you go to a reputable "shop" and ask their opinion. They have seen this and done this I am sure.

I fear going to any tattoo parlor for tatoos or piercings due to the possibility of Hepititis.

Just my fears, but well founded ones. You must research your parlor to make sure that they are using NEW needles and NEW ink rather than cleaning, reusing and repackaging then presenting as NEW. This is a very common practice because most parlors are not regulated by any government agency. Therefore, they can get around using NEW by representing that they have sterilized, which is an EXPENSIVE technique in itself. An autoclave is very expensive and if the person doing the sterilizing does not know the correct temp and pressure then the instruments are not completely sterilized.

Jul 24, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Yeah. The one I went to was Illusions and they did a good job but now I got to find them again because the building chain they were in was demolished and they moved their location. Do you think if they say that they won't re pierce it, that another place will?
    sadie123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
    Hiya I had my belly pierced in July 2005. But it came out on christmas eve. It was pierced to far forward. I left it to heal until april/may 2006 and had it repierced! It hurts a little more the 2nd time but not much its just a quick shooting pain. I was more nervous the 2nd time with it being tuffer skin etc, but its fine. I'd leave it a few months after the 1st ones come out before repiercing to let the area heal. I've got two lumps either side of my new bar and its got a red scar which has made me embarressed but it looks good! It really doesn't hurt the 2nd time if you want to know more add me to msn [email protected] and I'll answer any questions :)
    brooklynwegohard45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
    That's what happened to my ear but I had repirced a lot of times but I always repirce iht and ihs still the same
    briza22 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 04:10 AM
    Well you can ask the percerist yourself! Aee, that will help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scars [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know from anybody who has any advice on how to reduce scar tissue or even if there is any way that the scars can be removed. I have a close relative that has suffered from depression and as a result has self harmed in the past. The scars are a nasty reminder of the past...

Piercing the belly button [ 20 Answers ]

HEY ALL Well i am new here and i wanted to know can i peirce my belly button myself?? If so how?? And is it kinda like peircing the ears Thank you very much

Lots of questions about the belly button [ 10 Answers ]

Hey I know I've asked a lot but I'm scared of my belly button getting infected so is it OK if I covered my peirced belly button with a bandaid for like the whole healing prosses? And how long till it heals? And how do I know it healed? And some times I get stomach ache and I get sick is it because...

Left belly ring out too long [ 2 Answers ]

Listin I need help fast I took my elly button ring out because it got red and my mom wa sgetting mad and now I'm worried I can't put it back in because it hurts I've had it for 6 months now will it close up if I leave it out for 3 days Some one help

Beer belly :( [ 3 Answers ]

I weigh 185lbs and I have been working out for a month now (running and bicyling).. I have lost fat around the chest and weight is coming off my thighs.. However my belly is being stubborn... Fat is sticking to my stomach (specially around the belly button) and it makes it look like a spare tire!...

View more questions Search