Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackBauer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Is this a Hippa violation?
    I was injured on the job as a police officer. I have had to see the police departments physician several times over the last 2 years. He is now discussing my medical diagnosis with several members of my police department. The last time he examined me he also asked a police command officer to come into the examination room with us. I advised the doctor that I did not want anyone in there and he told me too bad. He then examined me in front of the uncomfortable lieutenant.
    nursingstudent Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jan 7, 2009, 04:14 PM

Yes that is a HUGE HIPPA violation. That law states that any physician or anybody else involved in your care may not discuss your situation with anyone. By law they technically aren't even aloud to confirm that you are their patient. I work in the lab in the hospital where I live and even if I see someone in the hall that my family know, I can't even tell my family that I saw them.

Your physician is breaking the law.

Jan 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nursingstudent View Post
    Yes that is a HUGE HIPPA violation. That law states that any physician or anybody else involved in your care may not discuss your situation with anyone. By law they technically aren't even aloud to confirm that you are their patient. I work in the lab in the hospital where I live and even if I see someone in the hall that my family know, I can't even tell my family that I saw them.

Your physician is breaking the law.
    The doctor is not my doctor but is the departments doctor. He is supposed to examine me and decide if I am medically fit for duty. He is not my doctor but since I am the patient, shouldn't I be entitled to privacy during an examination? I understand the doctor having to tell my job his opinion on my ability to perform my job from a medical point of view. I also understand that the department is allowed to have ONE liaison on this matter. What I don't believe is fair is that he openly discusses my examinations with several department members. I believe that is a Hippa violation as well as forcing me to be examined in front of a command officer. Thanks for your help nursingstudent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Well that is a harder one. At lot depends on the nature of your contract. It could that because he was examining you to determine your fitness for work that a supervisor needed to be present.

I would first consult with your union representative and see what the union has to say about this. They can then tell you and maybe help you file a HIPAA grievance if appropriate.

Jan 7, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Well that is a harder one. At lot depends on the nature of your contract. It could that because he was examining you to determine your fitness for work that a supervisor needed to be present.

I would first consult with your union representative and see what the union has to say about this. They can then tell you and maybe help you file a HIPAA grievance if appropriate.
    According to my union (who does not handle Hippa violations) the department has never had any supervisors or anyone present for an examination. I have been there 20 years and have been hurt on the job before. I have never had to be examined in front of a supervisor. The union states that this is called "past practice" and is a contract violation. I will be filing the Hippa violation paperwork anyway and see where it goes. I appreciate it!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2009, 05:13 PM

OK, but I'm still not sure it's a HIPAA violation. Yes it's a contract violation and that's how you should pursue it.

Also, I'm not sure you fully understand what it means to file a HIPAA complaint. If a HIPAA violation is deemed to have occurred, then the violator may be disciplined, fired, retrained or fined. It does not mean that you will be compensated.

I'm not saying to not pursue the HIPAA issue, but I would hold off on it to see how the union greivance goes.

Jan 7, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    OK, but I'm still not sure its a HIPAA violation. Yes its a contract violation and that's how you should pursue it.

Also, I'm not sure you fully understand what it means to file a HIPAA complaint. If a HIPAA violation is deemed to have occurred, then the violator may be disciplined, fired, retrained or fined. It does not mean that you will be compensated.

I'm not saying to not pursue the HIPAA issue, but I would hold off on it to see how the union greivance goes.
    Yes I am aware that it would mean discipline as well as a possible suspension of his license to practice. Its not about money. Its about this guy being accountable for his actions and treating everybody else that has to see him when I am retired in the manner that they shoud be. We have several grievances in right now on the matter. I will also be filing the Hippa complaints and they can investigate. If they are not Hippa violations than at least I know.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently discharged last month from a medical center and was brought in the ER for psych reasons. The person who registered me according to the other staff, Called his cousin my former supervisor who notified my manager. I was told by admitting Staff there that during the 24hrs there, the...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeing this guy and his ex wife does not like me anyway my dad was taken to the hospital and the unit clerk was my boyfriends ex sister in law the next morning his ex wife was texting us and saying she knew where we were at so early in the morning is that a hippa violation her sister did I...

HIPPA Violation [ 1 Answers ]

To make a long story short, a relative who works at the hospital accessed my medical file and then gave the specifics on my medical tests, condition, prognosis, etc. to other relatives. :eek: What recourse do I have in a situation like this? Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Hippa Violation [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter was in the hospital for a considerable amount of time... One wee were approached in the NICu unit by the doctor who asked us about insurance information(wanting to know if we received payment from them) We were approached in the middle of discharge by the billing dept in front of other...

View more questions Search