Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alloverlajolla Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Pipe added to shower drain?
    Hi. This is my preliminary question about this nightmare of a shower we live with! Any insight would be appreciated. Sympathy is nice too.

We have a fiberglass shower stall on the second story of the house. The drain sits higher than the floor of the shower leaving a constant puddle, even when it isn't leaking. So I hate it!

My husband, alloverlajolla, just informed me that the previous owners had a leak so they put a piece of pipe in the drain. I have no idea how that fixed anything. Well, he filled the gap with rope and silicone and plumber's putty!!

I can't seem to get anyone to fix this. Plumbers come out and say they'll get back to me but they never do. The remodeling guys get carried away and want to redo the whole bathroom.

So my first question is Can anyone imagine why they put the pipe in the drain in the first place?
    alloverlajolla Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Hi, this is the husband here and I have a few annotations to add.

This link within askmehelpdesk seems to be similar to ours.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...tion-4302.html.

My wife is frustrated because the inner PVC pipe sticks up slightly above the drain causing water to pool. This setup worked initially but shortly after we moved into the house it began leaking again. I then stuffed the gap with hemp and silicon caulk and plumbers putty. This held for 10 years with no leaks. I always thought the pooling was a good thing because it meant that the job was holding up. Now it is leaking again and no more pooling.

If I pull out the second pipe and remove the drain without cutting through the ceiling underneath, can I use this product http://www.plumbrite.com/ to fix the problem?

-Alloverlajolla-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Shower drain not butting up with pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I glued in a 2" pipe to the drain and it did not quite butt up against it but worse than that when I attached the pipe to the flange there is a gap of about 3/8". The parts all dry fit no problem. I guess I didn't move fast enough or used too much PVC cement. My question is will this leak? Do I...

Shower drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Guys , Need some advice. I am remodeling my bathroom, have removed the tub and walls and will install a shower only on the cement pad. The cement around the old drain pipe has never been filled in, which I guess is normal, however I need to extend the pipe to the center of my shower and...

View more questions Search