Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klmomma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Skipping Kindergarten
    I have a 4 y/o (will be 5 Feb 09) that I have been told by her peditrician and by her preschool that she should be tested out of kindergarten as soon as possible. She has always been ahead not only academically but socially. Her cousins that she is always with are 7. She also became a big sister at the age of 15 months. All the posts I read about skipping children talks about social skills they learn in kindergarten but what about children who are already socially ahead? She started talking about 6 months and by 1 year she was talking in complete sentences; so much so that every word was crystal clear. Never any problems with certain letters or speaking clearly. Most people that meet her think she is 6. I have called our school district and I seem to be running into road blocks all over. I was told to wait until Fall 09 when she will start kindergarten and then the teacher will be the one to recommend her skipping to 1st. Both my husband and I dropped out at an early age because we were bored. Both of us have since returned and finshed college, but I want to try to prevent that. Both our parents were not involved and we want to be very involved. We want to do all we can and not miss opportunities because we waited too long.
    I know I rambled a bit, but any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I both agree she should skip if we can do it, but don't know where to go from here...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 03:39 PM

She may be gifted and you may think she is socially advanced but I don't see the benefit in skipping her at such an early age. She surely needs the interactions with children her own age. Skipping is good, but at a more advanced grade. IMO> I think you should let the teacher decide; you are not doing her any harm by waiting.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 04:48 PM

The school district will need to evaluate your daughter on a set criteria before a recommendation for advancement would be made. There are pros and cons and, while taking into consideration your daughter's academic abilities, these will be discussed with you. Often there will be several people in on the decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public kindergarten vs. Homeschool kindergarten [ 24 Answers ]

I am a concerned grandma. My son & daughter-in-law are going to homeschool my grandson for kindergarten and then send him to public first grade next year when his sister will go to public kindergarten. He will be 6 the end of December. He is very bright and the actual learning part of...

HD TV skipping [ 2 Answers ]

I have a HD TV with no cable service and the regular channel that I get they come in clear but as your watching a show the channel skips or it will black out and a massage will come up on the screen that says weak or no signal, what can I do to rectify that.

Skipping periods [ 3 Answers ]

I am a junior in high school, and I haven't had my period in six months. I know I'm not pregnant, because I am still a virgin. I am scared because it always skips, and I only have it like twice a year. And I don't know what to do.

Rope skipping [ 2 Answers ]

Is rope skipping a good exercise? Does it help to loose weight and to tone up? Can somebody please share their experience!

Skipping is addicting [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old girl in my 11th grade year at high school. For the past 2 years, I was an amazing kid. I got good grades and I learned a lot. I was even able to get enough credits to graduate this year. Which would be cool for the current situation that I am in at home. Like I said, I am...

View more questions Search