Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Toilet back-up
    I recently installed a Kohler K3496 'Comfort Height' toilet that uses 1.6 gal. of water for each flush. The previous toilet worked fine - no clogs or problems just old and ugly.
    The new toilet clogs very easily - small amounts of paper and liquid waste only - and doesn't unclog without much effort - repeated plunging, snake, etc.

Since the old toilet worked fine, I am led to believe it is a toilet specific problem.

Can anyone comment on this problem, siphon toilets v. gravity or on this particular model of Kohler toilet?
    I'm ready to replace it and it is less than a month old.
    Thanks
    Jonel
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2006, 11:41 AM
    First, double check that you've got your valve set right so that the water level is as high as it should be in the bowl.

Frankly, I've tried the 1.6 gal per flush toilets and just not had luck with them. We did, though, find one that worked well, but it was different in that it advertised that it could flush a 2" ball. That is, it's opening for the drainage was over 2 inches throughout the toilet.

My guess is that yours is less than this.

... so the bummer answer is yes; it's a toilet design issue that's just not working for you.

The only thing to try that might help is to tweak the valve so that the water level in the tank is right up to the lip of the overflow tube to get a little more water per flush.
    Jonel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Thanks - I have tweaked it so that the water is as high in the tank as possible. I think the toilet 'pipes' are just too small - especially for the siphon action - not as strong as gravity and not enough water - poor design all the way 'round as far as I can tell.
    Thanks for your response.
    Jonel
    pinkpanthernot Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2006, 04:05 AM
    Our toilets are 1.6 gal/flush Kohlers from Home Depot and they work great!! But make sure you buy one that is porcelainized all the way through the siphon and down through the outlet so solids movement isn't inhibited. They're a bit more expensive but we haven't had to plunge even once. And we like the reduced water bill.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jul 26, 2006, 06:50 AM
    An idea suggested by Speedball a while back.

Another possibility is that some of the wax from the new wax ring is blocking the outlet pipe. New Kohler toilets should not have that much trouble flushing. I suggest you pull up the toilet and check the wax ring. If it has smeared into the toilet opening, get a new one. When installing it, bevel the wax away from the opening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Toilet overflow does not back up into tub [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet overflowed the other day and did much damage to a wood floor. The bath tub and shower pan were both dry. I would have thought that the overflow would have run into the tub or shower pan. Why wouldn't that have occurred. The shower, tub and toilet all drain into a single pipe and then...

View more questions Search