Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4evergreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Need to find a lawyer(I am 25 years old, charged with heft under $5000)
    Hi everyone, I have been charged with theft under (first offence). My question is: Is it necessary for me to hire a lawyer for my case? If it is necessary, is there any ways to find a defence lawyer besides going through the yellow pages? I want to find a good lawyer with resonable price(less then $2000). I live in Toronto. If anyone has references please reply. Thank you very much.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evergreen View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been charged with theft under (first offence). My question is: Is it necessary for me to hire a lawyer for my case? If it is necessary, is there any ways to find a defence lawyer besides going through the yellow pages? I want to find a good lawyer with resonable price(less then $2000). I live in Toronto. If anyone has references please reply. Thank you very much.

No one here will recommend a specific Attorney. You will have to call the various offices and question their rates, ask for advice. Look for someone who specializes.

Have you looked at the Diversion Program? Here's something I wrote:

“Ontario diversion program guidelines vary from region to region, courthouse to Courthouse. Eligibility for such a program is ALWAYS determined by the Crown Attorney’s office. There are no exceptions. You are not required to have legal counsel in order to apply.

If the offense - theft - is not major (property was recovered, not a large amount, not a repeat offender) the Crown Attorney MAY approve eligibility into the diversion program prior to the Curt appearance. If there are prior dealings with the Police - and charges do not have to be placed, any prior dealings of a negative nature - the person will most likely not be eligible for the diversion program.

As part of the diversion program the eligible person will have to agree to complete certain tasks or obligations - perhaps watch a video, make a donation or volunteer time to a not-for-profit, write a paper on the crime.

When the tasks/obligations have been competed to the satisfaction of the Crown’s Attorney he/she will recommend to the Judge that the criminal charge (usually, theft) be withdrawn.

Each courthouse in Ontario has a different diversion program and eligibility requirements differ from region to region. Eligibility for the diversion program is always determined by the Crown Attorney's office. If they deem a theft offence to be of a minor nature (usually a small quantity of merchandise was taken and the property was recovered), the Crown may pre-approve eligibility into the diversion program. A person will not generally be eligible for diversion if they have had prior dealings with the police (even if it did not result in a criminal charge being laid). Once in the diversion program, the eligible candidate may be asked to complete one of a number of different tasks. In some jurisdictions, a person charged with theft may be required to watch a video on shoplifting. In other jurisdictions they may be required to make a donation to charity or complete a minimum number of community service hours - or both. Regardless of the requirements, the end result is usually the same. Once the diversion program has been completed to the satisfaction of the Crown Attorney, the Crown will recommend to the court that the criminal charge of theft be withdrawn against the accused person. This will result in the accused person maintaining a clean record (assuming they didn't have a prior criminal record).

If a person is not pre-screened as eligible for the diversion program, a lawyer may be able to convince a Crown Attorney to reconsider their decision.”
    free soul Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
    My question to you is
    1) How much did you steal?

I suggest you first go to the first court appearance yourself. If the Crown refuses diversion to you just like they did to me, then find a lawyer. My lawyer is in the process of convincing the Crown to change their mind to offer me diverison. Keep me updated on your status. Thanks. Oh it cost me $1500 for a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 but not charged, what will happen [ 7 Answers ]

I was in a store recently and took a sample makeup. They valued the product at the original full size price 10.00. I regret this choice so much.. My questions are 1. I was not charged, police were called but because I have no other incidences, they said I get a warning. Will this show up on a...

Sister in law charged with theft under 5000.00 [ 6 Answers ]

My sister in law is being charged with frauding her place of work for theft under 5000.00 I was just wandering being it's her first offence what may be the things she will have to do and I was wandering if this would cause her to go to jail considering she has 4 children. It was a home for special...

Charged for theft under $5000 from employer [ 2 Answers ]

So I made a really stupid mistake:( . I work in an electronics store and a few days ago I got caught giving away a couple DVD's to a friend. I had actually done this twice. The first time I got away with, but the second... i got caught red handed. At that time, the Police were called in and...

Pregnant and being charged with theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am 8 months pregnant. And being charged with theft under 5000 for taking cash from my till at work. Needless to say it was a stupid thing to do but it was to put gas in my car so I could get to work the next day and to buy food. I was in all honesty just about to put the money back into the...

View more questions Search