Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SLe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Rebirth
    Hello,

I am trying to understand the theory of rebirth, and it states that consciousness lets go of the dying body and lodges itself in the fertilized egg, thus giving rise to a new being. Wouldn't it follow that Earth population should not grow, since a new being can only replace a dying one?

Please help me with this problem.

Len
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 04:21 PM

I was actually under the impression that not every "spirit" goes into a human being-Tibetan Buddhists believe that in fact rebirth depends on what you did in a previous "life" whether you earn a place outside of samsara. Humans are but one of many lifeforms that our essence could be rebirthed into.

But I could be wrong
    ubharedev Posts: 134, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 04:56 AM

I believed that there is nothing like "rebirth".
    All we have to get birth only one time.
    So what we have to do, have to be done in this life only.
    We does not brought anything and wouldn't take away anything with us.
    I think rebirth is a concept that put forward to do good things in life inorder to have good life in next life. But that prevent doing bad things in current life for who strongly believe in rebirth.
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman View Post
    I was actually under the impression that not every "spirit" goes into a human being-Tibetan Buddhists believe that in fact rebirth depends on what you did in a previous "life" whether you earn a place outside of samsara. Humans are but one of many lifeforms that our essence could be rebirthed into.

but i could be wrong
    Agreed, although I don't think that's specific to Tibetan Buddhism, as far as I know both Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism, and whatever other variations on Buddhism there are out there, have the same concept.

Based on a "ladder" model, some Buddhists believe in different planes of existence, including, but not limited to, the ones which we observe in our world (Humans, animals, insects... and some may say they observe ghosts, who knows?). Where one might be reincarnated depends on his karma which is obtained through his or her intentions and actions in all previous lives, not just the previous one.

But as Xrayman said, he could be wrong, for that matter, anyone could be wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dreams of Death - Rebirth [ 15 Answers ]

I had a few dreams that really taunt me. 1) Last night I had a dream about my 23 month old daughter. My husband and I where at a resort house right off the lake. He was doing something inside and I was making dinner. Not even two seconds my daughter goes outside. I saw her soother on the...

Faith in rebirth or reincarnation? [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if Buddhists & or Hindus have faith in reincarnation & karma. Man's need for spirituality wasn't fulfilled in India in ancient times. God spoke to the Jewish people first. If God did not speak directly to the Hindus-& they created the spirituality about what or who is God...

View more questions Search